News Briefs 4/17

Concert for Hope

UM Christian groups like Cru, University Christian Fellowship and Miami BCM will feature a Concert for Hope at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the UC Patio. Students will have the chance to pack food for those in need in the community. Free food from Sushi Maki, Chick-Fil-A and other venues will be available. Two Miami Heat Playoff tickets will be raffled off.

The Vagina Monologues

There will be a screening of The Vagina Monologues at 8 p.m. Thursday in Stanford’s Master’s Apartment. The screening will be followed by a discussion aimed to promote sex positivity and consensual sex. Refreshments will be served.

Student Health Service

As part of 2014 STD Awareness Month, the Student Health Service will be facilitating a Q&A about safer sex from 7 to 8 p.m. Thursday in UC 245. Free confidential and anonymous HIV and STD testing will be offered 1:30 to 5 p.m. Monday and Tuesday in UC 233, 237 and 241.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...