Nap rooms would be a dream come true

Running around from classroom to classroom and from events to meetings, it’s easy for students on this campus to tire themselves out by 3 p.m. Then, if we have an evening class or late-night meeting, that means we’re drifting around on the brink of exhaustion until we can finally crawl into bed.

More than half of the University of Miami student body does not live on campus. Those of us who don’t have dorms or nearby apartments can either fall asleep on the Green or guzzle down coffee to keep us going the rest of the day. We propose introducing another solution: a nap room.

A nap room may sound preposterous, but it’s not an entirely new concept. Innovative companies that care about the well-being of their employees, and even a few other college campuses, have already latched on to the idea.

When Arianna Huffington, editor-in-chief of The Huffington Post Media Group, visited campus on April 8, she said she introduced nap rooms at HuffPost headquarters to change the company’s culture because studies have shown that sleep improves productivity. President Donna E. Shalala also vouched for the importance of sleep during the talk (so we hope she backs us on this idea).

And, last year, Harvard University students made national headlines when they circulated a petition calling for a nap room.

Certainly, it’s easier to provide nap rooms at a large company, where regulations can easily be enforced, than on a college campus. But it has worked for the University of Colorado at Boulder, where students have had the Siesta Room – complete with beanbags, mats and couches – since 2009.

A nap room at UM raises questions about feasibility: How do you keep it clean? Ensure that it’s used for its intended purpose? Prevent people from overstaying their welcome? But we’ve got some answers.

The nap room would only be accessible by Cane Card, and students would be allotted a limited number of naps per week or semester.

When Oasis moves to the food court, its large space with transparent glass walls would be the perfect space for a monitor-able nap room. We’re not asking the university to provide free housing for commuters. Daytime operating hours when we most desperately need a power nap – say 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. –  should do the trick.

It may seem strange to nap in plain sight, but when you can’t even fathom staying awake through your 5 p.m. class, the idea doesn’t seem like such a snooze at all.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...