Campus Life, Featured, News, Student Organization

Law school theater group uses humor for charity

Hilarity for Charity’s (HFC) collegiate program HFC U ranked UM’s School of Law Equity Playhouse No. 7 in the “Elite Eight” list of student organizations and college campuses that raised the most funds in the fight against Alzheimer’s disease. The law school’s Equity Playhouse is a student-run theater group.

HFC is part of the national Alzheimer’s Association and raises money to provide resources for research and for families struggling with Alzheimer’s care. The charity is led by actor Seth Rogen and wife Lauren Miller, and uses humor to raise awareness about the disease.

Equity Playhouse produces shows that make light of law school and legal events. The organization’s annual show donates all proceeds from ticket sales to a charity selected by students.

In March, the playhouse premiered “1L in Wonderland,” a spoof on “Alice in Wonderland” and other stories like the “Wizard of Oz,” “Lord of the Rings,” “Chronicles of Narnia” and “Harry Potter.” The show followed Alice, a first-year law student, who enters a fantasy land and learns about law school, encountering professor parodies along the journey.

When Director and Lead Song Parody Writer Alyssa Williams was considering which charities to support with the cast, Matthew Deblinger, a first-year law student, suggested Hilarity for Charity. Deblinger saw firsthand the effects of Alzheimer’s when his grandfather developed the disease.

“Hilarity for Charity felt like a perfect fit for our model because it used comedy as a vehicle to tackle a serious cause, Alzheimer’s disease,” Deblinger said. “Alzheimer’s certainly impairs memory, but no one ever forgets how to laugh.”

After discussing the idea with Williams, the decision was made to select it as a benefiting charity.

“I had just seen Seth Rogen’s testimony before Congress and thought it was a great idea,” Williams said. “I invited Matt to come speak to the cast, and as many of us have relatives or know people with Alzheimer’s, we ultimately selected it as one of our charities this year.”

Together, the universities that participated with HFC in raising money in fight of Alzheiemer’s have raised a total of $127,000 in the last semester.

“That’s incredible, and it shows what our proactive generation is capable of,” Deblinger said. “I’m humbled that Miami Law made it to the ‘Elite Eight’ because I believe that it’s a testament to our munificence. This contest was never about winning; it was about raising money for such an emotionally draining disease.”

Williams was also excited about Equity Playhouse’s recognition by HFC as an “Elite Eight,” but what she finds most rewarding is the opportunity to raise awareness of Alzheimer’s to college students.

“…The cast of Equity and I really just focused on trying to raise money for the charity through ticket sales and word-of-mouth,” Williams said. “It’s great to hear that we are acknowledged for our efforts, but the awareness on campus and the support of Alzheimer’s research and families was our goal.”

About Author

Emily Dabau

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference and Brooklyn's Barclays Center teamed up for a historic first ear ...

The No. 45 Miami women's tennis team play will play a non-conference match against Florida Atla ...

University of Miami men's basketball signee Lonnie Walker IV showed off his athleticism at the ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...