Edge, Music

DJ Flume brings a flashing remix to Grand Central

Men and women screamed and rejoiced during Flume’s sold-out show at Grand Central. The combination of his chill tunes and crazy lights during the set, which were 80 percent different shades of purple and 20 percent other colors, was an even better combination than milk and cookies.

The stage was dark, minus the white light that came from the Apple logo on the MacBook as the crowd waited anxiously for Flume to come on stage. At a little past midnight, the lights began flashing. Flume walked on and got behind the MacBook.

He opened his set with the instrumental version of “Blame the Game” off his “Lockjaw EP.” The song got the crowd grooving hard, especially when he mixed it with “Sleepless.”

The set included many of the songs from his debut album, including “Holdin On,” “Insane” and “Ezra.” He even dropped some songs from “What So Not,” his side project with Emoh. He also played some remixes, including a remix to Mos Def’s “Mathematics,” which had members of the crowd spitting verses.

The remix that changed the atmosphere was his remix of Lorde’s “Tennis Court.” Flume dedicated the remix to Lorde herself. During the track, the lights and visuals changed to gold. At some points of the song, the visuals were of a lady’s face covered in gold paint along with other obscure gold visuals, such as a crown.

“Tennis Court” wasn’t the only track with captivating visuals to accompany it. Towards the end of his set, Flume played his remix of Disclosure’s “You and Me.” When the song got to the chill drop, the screen behind him showed a man and woman passionately kissing, just like a scene out of a chick flick. When he dropped “On Top,” the visuals looked like they were out of the Rainbow Road race course in Mario Kart, especially since the visual was moving as if it was a racing videogame. It was colorful and showed the producer’s name, “Flume.”

Overall, Flume’s set flowed extremely well and had the crowd craving more. The set lasted a little over an hour and a half, and it was clear from the audience’s reaction that he put on a great show.

Frank Malvar

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...