Edge, Music

DJ Flume brings a flashing remix to Grand Central

Men and women screamed and rejoiced during Flume’s sold-out show at Grand Central. The combination of his chill tunes and crazy lights during the set, which were 80 percent different shades of purple and 20 percent other colors, was an even better combination than milk and cookies.

The stage was dark, minus the white light that came from the Apple logo on the MacBook as the crowd waited anxiously for Flume to come on stage. At a little past midnight, the lights began flashing. Flume walked on and got behind the MacBook.

He opened his set with the instrumental version of “Blame the Game” off his “Lockjaw EP.” The song got the crowd grooving hard, especially when he mixed it with “Sleepless.”

The set included many of the songs from his debut album, including “Holdin On,” “Insane” and “Ezra.” He even dropped some songs from “What So Not,” his side project with Emoh. He also played some remixes, including a remix to Mos Def’s “Mathematics,” which had members of the crowd spitting verses.

The remix that changed the atmosphere was his remix of Lorde’s “Tennis Court.” Flume dedicated the remix to Lorde herself. During the track, the lights and visuals changed to gold. At some points of the song, the visuals were of a lady’s face covered in gold paint along with other obscure gold visuals, such as a crown.

“Tennis Court” wasn’t the only track with captivating visuals to accompany it. Towards the end of his set, Flume played his remix of Disclosure’s “You and Me.” When the song got to the chill drop, the screen behind him showed a man and woman passionately kissing, just like a scene out of a chick flick. When he dropped “On Top,” the visuals looked like they were out of the Rainbow Road race course in Mario Kart, especially since the visual was moving as if it was a racing videogame. It was colorful and showed the producer’s name, “Flume.”

Overall, Flume’s set flowed extremely well and had the crowd craving more. The set lasted a little over an hour and a half, and it was clear from the audience’s reaction that he put on a great show.

Frank Malvar

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...