Tips to score the interview, land the job

Landing that summer internship or post-graduate job has become more stressful in the digital age. Skype interviews, cover letters and social media have changed the way people apply for jobs.

The Miami Hurricane compiled top tips that will give you the edge this summer.

Send out thank you notes:

Thank you notes show that you appreciate the interviewer for the time they spent with you. You understand that they are busy people, and sending out notes acknowledges that. It shows your commitment to the possibility of the job. The note also gives you the opportunity to highlight the reasons you are the most qualified person for the job.

Write out appropriate cover letters and send them to the right people:

Writing a cover letter can be terrifying, but it serves as your first impression to hiring managers. They give you a chance to succinctly explain why you’re interested in the position and the company, and why you are perfect for the job. If you need examples, Google turns up both great examples and a basic structure of how to format your letter.

Know how to dress appropriately for Skype interviews:

Skype interviews have become prevalent in the last several years, since video chatting technology has improved. They allow employers to get the face-to-face interaction without making the investment of flying anyone out. The trick is to dress the way you would for an in-person interview, with the added bonus of wearing your pajama bottoms. Just make sure you don’t stand up and flash your potential boss your monkey covered pants.

Clean up your social media account, and follow your company:

This seems like an obvious one, but so many people seem to ignore the importance of having a clean social media presence. There’s nothing more embarrassing than an employer seeing a photo of you doing a keg stand. While it’s true that once it’s on the Internet, it’s there for good and still worth going through your pictures and privacy settings and doing a clean up. And don’t forget about Twitter and Instagram.

Reach out to people online and conduct informational interviews:

Have someone you admire in the industry you’re looking to get into? Don’t be afraid to reach out to them and ask them for some face time. There’s nothing better than getting to learn more about your dream job than learning more about it from the person who knows all about it. Reach out to that person through LinkedIn, email or Twitter.

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

RSS Error: WP HTTP Error: cURL error 56: Failure when receiving data from the peer