News Briefs 4/14

Conservative Week

Starting Monday, University of Miami College Republicans will be hosting Conservative Week. The events will be all-day on the Rock, beginning with a congressional candidate speech on Monday. A Support Our Troops event will be held Tuesday at the Rock. On Wednesday, they will provide a free all-American lunch at the Rock.  At 8 p.m. Thursday, there will be a free happy hour at the Rat.

Concert for Hope

UM Christian groups like Cru and the University Christian Fellowship will feature a Concert for Hope at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the UC Patio. Free food from Sushi Maki, Chick-Fil-A and other venues will be available.

Passover Seder

Chabad UM will host a Passover Seder at 8:15 p.m. Monday and Tuesday at the Chabad House, 1251 Hardee Road. There will be a full dinner and handmade matzot. Students will not be charged. To register, visit jewishcanes.com/seder. Chabad UM will also offer a strictly Kosher meal plan. Students can register at jewishcanes.com/mealplan.

Music in the Arboretum

Frost School of Music students will perform from 6 to 7 p.m. Wednesday outdoors at the Gifford Arboretum. Admission is free. Students are encouraged to bring chairs and blankets to enjoy the music.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

University of Miami legendary receiver Michael Irvin is no doubt relieved, as likely is UM football ...

Sexual assault charges will not be filed against former University of Miami football and Dallas Cowb ...

View photos of teenage recruits being taught by UM legends at Paradise Camp Saturday, July 22, 2017. ...

Mark Richt’s weekend began with a bunch of ninth- and 10th-grade recruits on Friday at a University ...

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...