Edge, Music, Q & A + Profiles

Flume talks making music, future plans

Flume is a 22-year-old Australian producer known for songs like “Holdin On,” “Lose the Game” and “Ezra.”. Since his self-titled debut album and recent Lockjaw EP with Chet Faker, Flume has been growing in popularity. He’s even playing the first day of Coachella this year. He will also be in town Tuesday, April 15 to play a sold-out show at Grand Central.

The Miami Hurricane sat down with the Sydney-based producer to talk about his music style, pre-performance rituals and how he knows a track is complete.

The Miami Hurricane: Why are you called Flume?

Flume: I named it after a Bon Iver track, but I also like the way it looks from a typography perspective. I think it’s a nice looking and sounding word. I think it sounds like the music I make.

TMH:   Describing your style of music to someone unfamiliar with it is hard to do, other than calling it chill. What are three words that you would use to describe your music?

F: Chill, I like that. That’s exactly what I was hoping to do. I always associate the color purple.

TMH: Is there one place you were surprised to perform at or dream of performing at?

F: Yeah, I’m actually going to Brazil to perform for the first time ever. I’ve been dying to go to Sao Paolo.

TMH: What are two big accomplishments so far in your career?

F: The biggest one was making my hobby turn into my career and to make a comfortable living off that, and that’s what I’ve been able to do.

TMH: Some artists have a pre-performance ritual. Do you have one?

F: I do like to have some quiet space three minutes before I go on stage. It depends, if it’s a big one sometimes I get a bit nervous. I usually get a few minutes of silence. Possibly, grab a beer.

TMH: So, is it like meditation?

F: No, it’s more of me clearing my head.

TMH: What do you do on your time off?

F: I actually had a fair amount of time off. Last year was crazy. Most of the entire year I was on tour. This year, 2014, I took some time off and I went to Thailand. I went to scuba dive; that was fun. I also did a whole lot of nothing, which is also really nice. Now, I’m back into it. I’m back on tour.

TMH: Where do you see yourself in three to five years?

F: I want to do another album, which I’m working on at the moment. I want to write a few albums. Then branch on into the branch of music production, things like T.V. ads, video games and even space producing for other people. I’d  like to write, so I can write for whoever I want. I find it really fun and a challenge to write for other artists.

TMH: How do you know when you’re done with a track?

F: It’s a thing you have to learn, really, because I feel most producers, or at least myself, I’m my hardest critic. Nothing’s ever finished. I’ve never put a song out that was finished in my mind. There’s always things that can be better and that I can hear. You just have to know when to stop, and that’s a skill that I’ve learned by really doing an album. I had all these tracks and songs that were 85% done, but you can just overcome things very easily and lose the perception of what’s good and what’s bad. You just get used to the mistakes.

Frank Malvar

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...