Smartwatches need privacy boundaries

Smartwatches have become increasingly popular as they change from being little more than a gimmick to an important part of our fast-paced lives.

In March, Google announced a platform for a new line of smartwatches called “Android Wear.” Google promises seamless integration with users’ phones and delivery of only the most relevant info so that the watch isn’t cumbersome.

While some consider smartwatches a reflection of society’s increasing laziness, I believe they serve as a respectable and inevitable response to the vast amount of information to which we  now have access.

Consider the case of Android users on their way to the airport, trying to catch a flight but are stuck in traffic. For them, the most relevant information is their flight status and estimated arrival time. Without a smartwatch, they would have to pull out their phone – already illegal – and sift through various screens and key in some information before they finally get what they want.

A decade ago, access to this information from the car would have been a James Bond-esque luxury. However, we now have access to everything we want to know from wherever. We just need smart products – smartwatches – to help cut out the distractions.

Android Wear marks a significant step in the right direction for managing our lives. However, consumers often forget to think about privacy concerns, which tend to put a damper on advancements in technology. It is nevertheless important to remember that “smart” services can only be as smart as the amount of data we allow them to collect. They analyze our behavior, figure out our habits and try to deliver information that adapts to our individual needs.

Moving forward, as our lives become increasingly digitized, the best strategy for consumers and innovators is to elucidate the boundary between what Google should and shouldn’t be allowed to know about what we’re up to.

Ravi Jain is a freshman majoring in chemistry.

Ravi Jain

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...