News Briefs 4/9

Art auction

Art for Kids will be hosting a silent art auction to raise funds for Miami Children’s Hospital from 7 to 10 p.m. on Friday in the SAC North and South Activities Room. The event will feature artwork, refreshments, food and music.

Adrenaline mania

Starting at 7:30 p.m. on Friday at the Wellness Center Main Gym, there will be inflatable games including adrenaline rush, pedestal joust, boxing ring, bungee run and triple play (basketball, soccer and football) for students to use free of charge.

Pride parade

SpectrUM, Prism, OUTLaw, MedicOUT and the LGBTQ Faculty Staff Network will be participating in the Miami Pride Parade 2014 with a customized UM float on Sunday. All members of the university community are invited to participate.  A bus will depart Stanford Circle at 10:30 a.m. and will leave South Beach at 3 p.m. For more information, contact j.marzano@umiami.edu.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

About Author

Ashley Martinez Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...