Football, Sports

Williams hurts ACL in practice, to undergo surgery this week

Senior Ryan Williams injured his knee during the Hurricanes’ closed spring scrimmage Friday night.

Chris Yandle, associate athletic director for communications, confirmed the news in a tweet on Saturday.

“Miami senior QB Ryan Williams suffered an ACL injury to his right knee Friday night. He will undergo surgery next week,” it read.

Williams had distanced himself in the quarterback competition throughout spring practice, and was expected to become Miami’s starter. He played behind Stephen Morris last season.

A transfer from Memphis, Williams threw four touchdowns and one interception in his four 2013 appearances. He completed 68.8 percent of his passes for a total of 369 yards.

It appeared that Williams would go head to head with redshirt freshman Kevin Olsen to determine the next Hurricanes starting quarterback, but coach Al Golden said Williams’ maturity and experience had just about secured the job.

While there is not yet a timetable for Williams to return, it is clear that Miami will start the season with him on the sideline. That means Olsen will likely take over as the starter. Sophomore Gray Crow and incoming freshman Brad Kaaya may also see time as quarterback.

Miami will play its Spring Game on Saturday at Sun Life Stadium.

Here is a look at the Hurricanes’ depth at quarterback, as it appears on hurricanesports.com.

Spencer Dandes

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...