Football, Sports

Williams hurts ACL in practice, to undergo surgery this week

Senior Ryan Williams injured his knee during the Hurricanes’ closed spring scrimmage Friday night.

Chris Yandle, associate athletic director for communications, confirmed the news in a tweet on Saturday.

“Miami senior QB Ryan Williams suffered an ACL injury to his right knee Friday night. He will undergo surgery next week,” it read.

Williams had distanced himself in the quarterback competition throughout spring practice, and was expected to become Miami’s starter. He played behind Stephen Morris last season.

A transfer from Memphis, Williams threw four touchdowns and one interception in his four 2013 appearances. He completed 68.8 percent of his passes for a total of 369 yards.

It appeared that Williams would go head to head with redshirt freshman Kevin Olsen to determine the next Hurricanes starting quarterback, but coach Al Golden said Williams’ maturity and experience had just about secured the job.

While there is not yet a timetable for Williams to return, it is clear that Miami will start the season with him on the sideline. That means Olsen will likely take over as the starter. Sophomore Gray Crow and incoming freshman Brad Kaaya may also see time as quarterback.

Miami will play its Spring Game on Saturday at Sun Life Stadium.

Here is a look at the Hurricanes’ depth at quarterback, as it appears on hurricanesports.com.

Spencer Dandes

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...