News Briefs 4/7

Arianna Huffington

Arianna Huffington will visit the BankUnited Center at 5 p.m. Tuesday. Huffington, the chair, president and editor-in-chief of the Huffington Post Media Group, will discuss her 14th book, “Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Life of Well-Being, Wisdom, and Wonder.”  Students can visit tinyurl.com/huffingtonatUM to register and obtain tickets. Students must use the password Huffington2014 for tickets and are only eligible for one free ticket.

Bone Marrow Drive

The fourth annual Get In the Game, Save a Life Bone Marrow Drive will take place from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday on the Green. The drive is sponsored by UM’s football team and Delta Epsilon Psi Fraternity in collaboration with the Be The Match Foundation. All students are welcome to register. Potential donors must be between 18 and 60 years old, meet health guidelines and be willing to donate to any patient in need.

DragOut 2014

SpectrUM will be hosting a drag show, DragOut 2014, 8 p.m. Wednesday at the Rathskeller. The event is designed to raise awareness of and support for the LGBTQ community and its diversity. The show will feature various performances. The event is free of charge for university students, faculty and staff with a valid Cane Card. Non-university visitors will be charged $20 admission. Proceeds will benefit SAVE Dade.

Walk a Mile in Her Shoes

Walk a Mile in Her Shoes will take place from 3 to 5 p.m. Thursday on the Rock. Walk a Mile in Her Shoes is an international men’s march to stop rape, sexual assault and gender violence. Students may register at the Counseling Center or at tinyurl.com/UMiamiInHerShoes. All proceeds will go to Safe Space Women’s Shelter.

Art Auction

Art for Kids will host a silent art auction to raise funds for Miami Children’s Hospital from 7 to 10 p.m. on Friday in the Student Activities Center’s North and South Ballrooms. There will be artwork, food, refreshments and music.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Friday’s NFL drought became Saturday’s downpour for the University of Miami. Eight Miami Hurricanes ...

Cornerback Corn Elder’s career highlight is a play that will forever be ingrained in college footbal ...

Safety Rayshawn Jenkins is now a Los Angeles Charger. Jenkins, who grew up in St. Petersburg, became ...

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

The University of Miami football program had nine former players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft in P ...

Miami Hurricanes fullback Marquez Williams was selected with the 240th overall pick by the Jacksonvi ...

Miami Hurricanes cornerback Adrian Colbert was selected with the 229th overall pick by the San Franc ...

Miami Hurricanes wide receiver Stacy Coley was selected with the 219th overall pick by the Minnesota ...

Miami Hurricanes quarterback Brad Kaaya was selected with the 215th overall pick by the Detroit Lion ...