Edge, Movies

Winged Captain America character soars

Amid the sea of superheroes, supersoldiers and superspies featured in “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” the character who stands out is not the bionic arm menace or the star-studded hunk. It’s the one with the positive attitude and the killer wings who still makes breakfast for his friends.

An everyday guy who works at the Veterans Association, Sam Wilson (played by Anthony Mackie) anchors the movie as the only character not undergoing an identity crisis. He quickly becomes Captain America’s wingman – both on the ground and in the air – as Falcon. Donning military-invented wings, Falcon flies high in his first film incarnation.

Mackie is honored to play Marvel’s first African American superhero.

“He’s the audience’s eyes and ears into the movie because he’s a regular guy who’s now surrounded by superheroes,” he said of his character at a press day in Miami. “Marvel’s movies deal 100 percent with placing superheroes in our reality. That’s why we use minimal CGI. That’s why as the actors we did so many of our own stunts.”

Mackie is a certified skydiver and used a harness for his scenes. Only his wings were made with CGI. He practiced diving into a pool to achieve the swooping technique necessary for fluid movements.

“There’s nothing in the human nature that works like landing like a bird,” Mackie said. “You have to work on bringing your entire torso under you and bring your legs under you so you can land and then move.”

He spent his first day on set screaming as he was being thrown from 50 feet on the harness. But the tenacious actor, who emailed Marvel repeatedly over five years begging for a role, proves that perseverance pays off.

Mackie was  proud of the action sequences and heavy stunt work in the film.

“It looks real because it was real,” he said.

The directors, Joe and Anthony Russo, pushed for a realistic feel to the film that these stunts provided. Mackie says getting them onboard was “genius” since they balanced gritty realism with the youthful lightness from “The Avengers.”

Mackie called the film “‘Catch Me If You Can’ meets ‘Jason Bourne’ – with a bunch of superheroes!”​

Mackie felt fortunate to work with Marvel, as he knew they would make something great.

“You show up for work and it takes all the pressure off you,” Mackie said. “I know I look stupid jumping off a damn crane but they’re gonna make it look cool.”

And boy, does he look cool.

“Captain America: The Winter Soldier” opens in theaters Friday.

Luisa Andonie

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...