Greek Life, News

Pike house construction continues despite chapter suspension

The Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity’s (Pike) house is still being constructed, despite the chapter’s suspension from campus at a minimum of four years. The ban began near the end of 2013.

Plans for the Pike house were set into motion, before the fraternity was suspended.

According to a 2013 press release from Pike’s national branch, UM’s chapter lost its charter for “violations of university and fraternity risk awareness policies.” Nationals and UM administration did not release further information about the violations.

The house is expected to be finished around December, according to Dan Corah, Pike’s real estate officer. Another Greek organization will occupy the house until Pike is re-established.

Corah said that his office, White Horse Holding Co., is discussing options with several different Greek organizations. The university does not have a role in this decision. The Interfraternity Council (IFC) is also not involved in determining which organization will rent the house.

“As far as I know, the Pike housing corporation will be renting the house out to students until such a time comes that the chapter is back on campus,” said Brad Bradshaw, president of IFC.

The house, which is being contracted by Bellin & Pratt Architects, LLC, is on San Amaro Drive. Plans for the two-story house include an outdoor lounge, a lavish pool area and covered spaces for parking.

Steve Priepke, the assistant dean of students and director of Greek Life, is excited at the prospect of a new house on campus. According to Priepke, the last fraternity house built at UM was for the Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity, which opened in 2009, according to an article published in The Miami Hurricane.

“It will be very exciting when it’s open to see it and to see what they do differently than the other ones,” Priepke said. “Everybody always has a different version of what they think the perfect fraternity house will be.”

The one question that remains throughout this process: What will happen when Pike re-colonizes?

Corah said that the house will not be automatically transferred to the re-established Pike chapter. New members will have to take time to “establish themselves and get organized” before they are allowed to move into the house.

“We like to make sure that a new group is capable of handling the responsibility of a house,” he said. “It’s not an automatic thing.”

Marlee Lisker

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

University leaders from the Americas explore creating a Hemispheric University Consortium to work to ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team checks in at No. 39 in the Oracle/ITA rankings Tuesda ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...