Edge, Fashion

Fashionable trends to stand out this spring

With spring approaching, most of the country is trading heavy winter clothes for jackets and flats. But for those of us in the Sunshine State, the southern heat calls for a much lighter wardrobe. It can be tricky to dress weather-appropriate and retain the spring “look,” but by following these tips, any Miami girl can stay cool and look the part for the upcoming season.

Coloring

The most important aspect of a fabulous spring wardrobe is the color scheme. This season, the most popular shades are coral, electric blue, watermelon, canary yellow and soft peach. It’s best to choose an outfit that focuses on one of these hues with muted complementary colors for other pieces. For example, a bright yellow blouse could be paired with white jeans, straw wedges and wooden jewelry.

The best complementary colors for this season are white and brown, rather than black. Black points to winter and is tough to wear in the Miami heat, but it can be used in small doses.

Top Trends

The hottest trend this season is colored jeans, particularly in coral, light pink, deep blue, mint and white. Skinny jeans are especially in and can be worn with almost any kind of shoe.

Another important trend is cropped jackets, especially in light fabrics, like cotton and denim materials.  The same colors still work for jackets, but brown is always a classic shade to have.

Because these styles can sometimes be hard to pull off in the Miami heat, it is best to mix and match. For example, pair a light coral jacket with jean shorts and sandals, or mint colored jeans with a white cotton tank top and wedges.

Dresses

Nothing screams springtime like a classy dress. This can also be in a bright color, or in a crisp white or ivory. These dresses should be very tailored and are best worn with flats or wedges. Peplum style is also very popular and fun, so play it up. For a more casual look, try a skater dress in spring hues with sneakers or sandals, and simple accessories

Accessories

Springtime is all about accessories. Make a statement with a big, bold necklace that is the opposite color of your stand-out piece. For example, wear an electric blue tank top with a bright yellow necklace to complement the outfit. Large, chunky bracelets are also in, as are rings.

A classic bag is also important to have for the spring. It’s always good to have a brown tote, but this season is a fun time to experiment with bright colored bags in colors like yellow and pink. These are easy ways for a Miami girl to stay chic and trendy while dealing with the heat.

Alexandra DiBacco

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...