Edge, Fashion

Fashionable trends to stand out this spring

With spring approaching, most of the country is trading heavy winter clothes for jackets and flats. But for those of us in the Sunshine State, the southern heat calls for a much lighter wardrobe. It can be tricky to dress weather-appropriate and retain the spring “look,” but by following these tips, any Miami girl can stay cool and look the part for the upcoming season.

Coloring

The most important aspect of a fabulous spring wardrobe is the color scheme. This season, the most popular shades are coral, electric blue, watermelon, canary yellow and soft peach. It’s best to choose an outfit that focuses on one of these hues with muted complementary colors for other pieces. For example, a bright yellow blouse could be paired with white jeans, straw wedges and wooden jewelry.

The best complementary colors for this season are white and brown, rather than black. Black points to winter and is tough to wear in the Miami heat, but it can be used in small doses.

Top Trends

The hottest trend this season is colored jeans, particularly in coral, light pink, deep blue, mint and white. Skinny jeans are especially in and can be worn with almost any kind of shoe.

Another important trend is cropped jackets, especially in light fabrics, like cotton and denim materials.  The same colors still work for jackets, but brown is always a classic shade to have.

Because these styles can sometimes be hard to pull off in the Miami heat, it is best to mix and match. For example, pair a light coral jacket with jean shorts and sandals, or mint colored jeans with a white cotton tank top and wedges.

Dresses

Nothing screams springtime like a classy dress. This can also be in a bright color, or in a crisp white or ivory. These dresses should be very tailored and are best worn with flats or wedges. Peplum style is also very popular and fun, so play it up. For a more casual look, try a skater dress in spring hues with sneakers or sandals, and simple accessories

Accessories

Springtime is all about accessories. Make a statement with a big, bold necklace that is the opposite color of your stand-out piece. For example, wear an electric blue tank top with a bright yellow necklace to complement the outfit. Large, chunky bracelets are also in, as are rings.

A classic bag is also important to have for the spring. It’s always good to have a brown tote, but this season is a fun time to experiment with bright colored bags in colors like yellow and pink. These are easy ways for a Miami girl to stay chic and trendy while dealing with the heat.

Alexandra DiBacco

Randy Ableman has built something special with his Miami Hurricanes diving program. Here’s why: Ther ...

Two days after the University of Miami football team played its spring game, coach Mark Richt stayed ...

The University of Miami’s most anticipated Atlantic Coast Conference baseball series of the season e ...

The University of Miami announced Sunday evening that sophomore safety Jeff James, Jr., has parted w ...

UM’s 2018 recruiting class, already regarded as the best in the country, added two more gems over th ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...

Malcolm Grant plays for Tajfun Sentjur in Slovenia ...

The University of Miami Department of Athletics continued to earn high praise with its student-athle ...

The University of Miami men's tennis match against Virginia Tech has been cancelled due to heav ...

The series finale between Miami and Florida State at Mark Light Field was cancelled due to inclement ...