Edge, Fashion

Fashionable trends to stand out this spring

With spring approaching, most of the country is trading heavy winter clothes for jackets and flats. But for those of us in the Sunshine State, the southern heat calls for a much lighter wardrobe. It can be tricky to dress weather-appropriate and retain the spring “look,” but by following these tips, any Miami girl can stay cool and look the part for the upcoming season.

Coloring

The most important aspect of a fabulous spring wardrobe is the color scheme. This season, the most popular shades are coral, electric blue, watermelon, canary yellow and soft peach. It’s best to choose an outfit that focuses on one of these hues with muted complementary colors for other pieces. For example, a bright yellow blouse could be paired with white jeans, straw wedges and wooden jewelry.

The best complementary colors for this season are white and brown, rather than black. Black points to winter and is tough to wear in the Miami heat, but it can be used in small doses.

Top Trends

The hottest trend this season is colored jeans, particularly in coral, light pink, deep blue, mint and white. Skinny jeans are especially in and can be worn with almost any kind of shoe.

Another important trend is cropped jackets, especially in light fabrics, like cotton and denim materials.  The same colors still work for jackets, but brown is always a classic shade to have.

Because these styles can sometimes be hard to pull off in the Miami heat, it is best to mix and match. For example, pair a light coral jacket with jean shorts and sandals, or mint colored jeans with a white cotton tank top and wedges.

Dresses

Nothing screams springtime like a classy dress. This can also be in a bright color, or in a crisp white or ivory. These dresses should be very tailored and are best worn with flats or wedges. Peplum style is also very popular and fun, so play it up. For a more casual look, try a skater dress in spring hues with sneakers or sandals, and simple accessories

Accessories

Springtime is all about accessories. Make a statement with a big, bold necklace that is the opposite color of your stand-out piece. For example, wear an electric blue tank top with a bright yellow necklace to complement the outfit. Large, chunky bracelets are also in, as are rings.

A classic bag is also important to have for the spring. It’s always good to have a brown tote, but this season is a fun time to experiment with bright colored bags in colors like yellow and pink. These are easy ways for a Miami girl to stay chic and trendy while dealing with the heat.

About Author

Alexandra DiBacco

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...

Here's a daily look at what is taking place at Greentree ...

Miami tied for the most hits No. 8 North Carolina has allowed all season, but fell to the host Tar H ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...