Do the ‘happiness challenge’ genuinely

Most college students can relate to the feeling of being wrapped up in a scandalous Facebook post or following what is trending on Twitter. In this age of social media, it seems like our real lives sometimes come second to our lives on the web.

This is why the newest online phenomenon, the 100 Days of Happiness Challenge, is a great way to integrate social media with overall attitude and well-being. It’s a challenge that aligns with our lifestyle, and the concept is simple. Each day, you capture something that makes you happy and upload it to Facebook, Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #100happydays.

The act of setting a goal can entirely change one’s mentality. However, the individual must have the right intentions. Completing this challenge for social acceptance negates its entire purpose.

Many people use social media to create a socially acceptable image of a happier, more composed and better version of themselves. Many are faking it – those happy status updates and smiling pictures don’t tell an entire story.

If one chooses to take the challenge, he or she should make sure his or her motivations are pure. If you are doing it as just another tool to garner likes and favorites, then don’t bother.

With the overwhelming number of apps for dating, chatting and tracking almost any aspect of our lives, we need to be certain that we also take the time to focus on actually living our lives.

After all, what should be most important is a happy life and not just a #happylife.

Alyssa Jacobson is a junior majoring in advertising and political science.

Alyssa Jacobson

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...