Do the ‘happiness challenge’ genuinely

Most college students can relate to the feeling of being wrapped up in a scandalous Facebook post or following what is trending on Twitter. In this age of social media, it seems like our real lives sometimes come second to our lives on the web.

This is why the newest online phenomenon, the 100 Days of Happiness Challenge, is a great way to integrate social media with overall attitude and well-being. It’s a challenge that aligns with our lifestyle, and the concept is simple. Each day, you capture something that makes you happy and upload it to Facebook, Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #100happydays.

The act of setting a goal can entirely change one’s mentality. However, the individual must have the right intentions. Completing this challenge for social acceptance negates its entire purpose.

Many people use social media to create a socially acceptable image of a happier, more composed and better version of themselves. Many are faking it – those happy status updates and smiling pictures don’t tell an entire story.

If one chooses to take the challenge, he or she should make sure his or her motivations are pure. If you are doing it as just another tool to garner likes and favorites, then don’t bother.

With the overwhelming number of apps for dating, chatting and tracking almost any aspect of our lives, we need to be certain that we also take the time to focus on actually living our lives.

After all, what should be most important is a happy life and not just a #happylife.

Alyssa Jacobson is a junior majoring in advertising and political science.

Alyssa Jacobson

View photos of teenage recruits being taught by UM legends at Paradise Camp Saturday, July 22, 2017. ...

Mark Richt’s weekend began with a bunch of ninth- and 10th-grade recruits on Friday at a University ...

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...