Break the silence behind bad breakdowns

Because we think breakdowns are an exhibition of mental exhaustion and instability, we don’t tell anyone when a normal night turns into a cry fest. I am not referring to breakdowns caused by breakups or bad friends, but instead the gut-wrenching, jaw-locking academics-induced turmoil of “I can’t handle my life.”

With tons of tests, future careers to worry about and feeling tired to the point of impaired motor skills and dazed interaction, the widespread yet little-talked-about student breakdown is often only suffered in the company of oneself and one’s pillows, hidden from sight, with the courteous intention to not make anyone else uncomfortable.

Sometimes, we freak out and lose sight of what really matters. We’re cruel to ourselves, and we can’t seem to let things go.

I have let this phenomenon massacre my nerves many times, and if you’re done pretending to be perpetually poised, let’s go ahead and admit now that you have, too.

These wet-eyed, red-faced episodes are seen in such a taboo light because of society’s desperate desire to quiet down chaos and promote higher order. The assumption is that if one person acts out, displaying dissatisfaction, everyone else might start screaming their heads off, too.

Yet if you’re bawling in your room, and then dutifully splash your face and go to class, how can you ensure that it won’t happen again? I don’t believe in the notion that having “a good cry” gets out all the poison and makes everything better. If you’re in a wild fit of despair, there’s probably a serious reason behind it that you couldn’t throw out with the tissues.

Using the Social Adjustment Rating Scale, researchers have found that when undergraduate college students rank various life events in terms of stress, “Had a lot of tests” is second only to “Death (family member or friend),” while “Parents getting a divorce” is ranked No. 19.

Basically, what you might have thought to be the most horrible event in your life is actually far overshadowed by something that should be considered more of a nuisance than a severe stressor. Because we’re quick to view regular measures of comprehension as regular measures of intelligence, the pressure to prove ourselves quite literally keeps us up at night. But this is absurd.

You don’t offer a GPA to the world. You offer amazing qualities, like work ethic and creativity. We bring pain upon ourselves when we choose to give something of little meaning such high a place on the shelf, instead of honoring our true assets. Your grades cannot measure the capacity of what you’re capable. Nothing really can, because there’s no limit.

Hunter Wright is a sophomore majoring in creative writing.

Hunter Wright

Friday’s NFL drought became Saturday’s downpour for the University of Miami. Eight Miami Hurricanes ...

Cornerback Corn Elder’s career highlight is a play that will forever be ingrained in college footbal ...

Safety Rayshawn Jenkins is now a Los Angeles Charger. Jenkins, who grew up in St. Petersburg, became ...

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Have a look at approximately 60 of the best pictures from the Miami women's tennis team match v ...

The University of Miami football program had nine former players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft in P ...

Miami Hurricanes fullback Marquez Williams was selected with the 240th overall pick by the Jacksonvi ...

Miami Hurricanes cornerback Adrian Colbert was selected with the 229th overall pick by the San Franc ...

Miami Hurricanes wide receiver Stacy Coley was selected with the 219th overall pick by the Minnesota ...