Campus Life, Featured, News, Student Government

Sunset Place shuttle route extended to Dadeland

A  Saturday Hurry Canes shuttle to Dadeland is now up and running, thanks to a Student Government initiative.

The shuttle stops at Dadeland after Publix and the Shops at Sunset Place. The noon to 8 p.m. schedule remains the same for the weekend route, and shuttles depart from Stanford Circle and the Hecht/Stanford stop.

Freshman Leadership Council (FLC) members Quinn Kasal and Sarah Potter led the project. SG Vice President Justin Borroto assigned them the task in October when Kasal and Potter expressed interest in making campus transportation more convenient.

Kasal felt right at home with the project because of his interest in transportation and his experience as an urban studies minor.

“Transportation is something I’m knowledgeable about,” he said. “I thought it was something that I understand really well that I can make a difference in. Students can take the metro to Dadeland, but it’s all about making the campus experience more convenient for them.”

The project took six months to complete given the research Kasal and Potter needed before they could initiate the project. They polled students, determined the demand for a shuttle stop at Dadeland, and made sure it was something students wanted and needed.

Kasal and Potter then drafted a proposal and examined how the new stop could fit into the existing Sunset Place shuttle route in the most efficient way, Borroto said.

Jesus Melendez and Sarah Quigley, SG parking and transportation liaisons, assisted the FLC. They worked with administration throughout the process.

Patricia Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs, gave the project its final approval on Feb. 24 in a meeting with SG President Bhumi Patel.

This additional stop is meant to help freshmen who are not allowed to have cars on campus. The expanded shuttle route also provides a safe and easy ride to the mall for all students, Melendez said.

Freshman Daniel Tirado likes the convenience the Dadeland stop provides so that students don’t have to spend money on getting there using the metrorail.

“One of the major restrictions for freshmen going to that area was that it would be $4.50 for a round trip metrorail pass,” he said. “The free shuttle allows students more access to an area that should be easily accessible.”

This was not the first time such a project was proposed. Two years ago, the shuttles stopped at Dadeland Mall, but there were several issues, including timing.

“We went back to what we had from the previous trials, and we worked off of that and tried to address all of the issues,” Potter said. “And from that, that’s how we created our proposal for the new one. We’re trying to make a more concrete schedule so people know when it’s coming and use it.”

Saturday shuttle route:

Where: Stanford Circle and Hecht/Stanford stops. The shuttle travels to Publix, the Shops at Sunset Place and Dadeland Mall, the latest addition to the route.

When: 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturdays

Emily Dabau

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...