News Briefs 3/31

International week

International Week 2014: Discover the Unknown – Hidden Treasures from Around the World will be held between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. and 6:30 to 9 p.m. at the UC Patio.

Asia Night will take place Monday and will showcase cultural cuisine.

Students will have the chance to make flower leis, eat traditional island sweets and learn about the culture of the Pacific Islands on Tuesday night.

Wednesday night will feature African and Caribbean food and activities.

Middle Eastern night will be on Thursday and will showcase musical performances and belly performers. Hummus and falafel will be served.

The week’s festivities will conclude with the World of Feast on Friday, which will feature cuisine from Europe and Latin America.

Creativity seminar

UM will host the first international seminar on innovation for content creation from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.  Thursday at the Cosford Cinema. Marlon Quintero, a television producer and content creator, will conduct the seminar. Guest panelists include Ligiah Villalobos, writer for the NBC show “ED,” and Eric Foster, a music producer for artists such as Britney Spears and Whitney Houston. For more information, email infoseminar@cicmedia.tv.

Arianna Huffington

Arianna Huffington will visit the BankUnited Center at 5 p.m. April 8. Huffington, the chair, president and editor-in-chief of the Huffington Post Media Group, will discuss her 14th book, “Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Life of Well-Being, Wisdom, and Wonder.”  Students can visit tinyurl.com/huffingtonatUM to register and obtain tickets. Students must use the password Huffington2014 for tickets and are only eligible for one free ticket.

Passover seders 

UM Hillel will be offering Passover Seders, as well as lunch and dinner throughout the Passover holiday from April 14 to April 22. Pre-registration is required, and the deadline is 5 p.m. on April 7. Students, parents, faculty and community members can register at miamihillel.org/shabbat_and_holidays/passover.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...