News Briefs 3/31

International week

International Week 2014: Discover the Unknown – Hidden Treasures from Around the World will be held between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. and 6:30 to 9 p.m. at the UC Patio.

Asia Night will take place Monday and will showcase cultural cuisine.

Students will have the chance to make flower leis, eat traditional island sweets and learn about the culture of the Pacific Islands on Tuesday night.

Wednesday night will feature African and Caribbean food and activities.

Middle Eastern night will be on Thursday and will showcase musical performances and belly performers. Hummus and falafel will be served.

The week’s festivities will conclude with the World of Feast on Friday, which will feature cuisine from Europe and Latin America.

Creativity seminar

UM will host the first international seminar on innovation for content creation from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.  Thursday at the Cosford Cinema. Marlon Quintero, a television producer and content creator, will conduct the seminar. Guest panelists include Ligiah Villalobos, writer for the NBC show “ED,” and Eric Foster, a music producer for artists such as Britney Spears and Whitney Houston. For more information, email infoseminar@cicmedia.tv.

Arianna Huffington

Arianna Huffington will visit the BankUnited Center at 5 p.m. April 8. Huffington, the chair, president and editor-in-chief of the Huffington Post Media Group, will discuss her 14th book, “Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Life of Well-Being, Wisdom, and Wonder.”  Students can visit tinyurl.com/huffingtonatUM to register and obtain tickets. Students must use the password Huffington2014 for tickets and are only eligible for one free ticket.

Passover seders 

UM Hillel will be offering Passover Seders, as well as lunch and dinner throughout the Passover holiday from April 14 to April 22. Pre-registration is required, and the deadline is 5 p.m. on April 7. Students, parents, faculty and community members can register at miamihillel.org/shabbat_and_holidays/passover.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

View photos of teenage recruits being taught by UM legends at Paradise Camp Saturday, July 22, 2017. ...

Mark Richt’s weekend began with a bunch of ninth- and 10th-grade recruits on Friday at a University ...

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...