News Briefs 3/31

International week

International Week 2014: Discover the Unknown – Hidden Treasures from Around the World will be held between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. and 6:30 to 9 p.m. at the UC Patio.

Asia Night will take place Monday and will showcase cultural cuisine.

Students will have the chance to make flower leis, eat traditional island sweets and learn about the culture of the Pacific Islands on Tuesday night.

Wednesday night will feature African and Caribbean food and activities.

Middle Eastern night will be on Thursday and will showcase musical performances and belly performers. Hummus and falafel will be served.

The week’s festivities will conclude with the World of Feast on Friday, which will feature cuisine from Europe and Latin America.

Creativity seminar

UM will host the first international seminar on innovation for content creation from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.  Thursday at the Cosford Cinema. Marlon Quintero, a television producer and content creator, will conduct the seminar. Guest panelists include Ligiah Villalobos, writer for the NBC show “ED,” and Eric Foster, a music producer for artists such as Britney Spears and Whitney Houston. For more information, email infoseminar@cicmedia.tv.

Arianna Huffington

Arianna Huffington will visit the BankUnited Center at 5 p.m. April 8. Huffington, the chair, president and editor-in-chief of the Huffington Post Media Group, will discuss her 14th book, “Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Life of Well-Being, Wisdom, and Wonder.”  Students can visit tinyurl.com/huffingtonatUM to register and obtain tickets. Students must use the password Huffington2014 for tickets and are only eligible for one free ticket.

Passover seders 

UM Hillel will be offering Passover Seders, as well as lunch and dinner throughout the Passover holiday from April 14 to April 22. Pre-registration is required, and the deadline is 5 p.m. on April 7. Students, parents, faculty and community members can register at miamihillel.org/shabbat_and_holidays/passover.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

About Author

Ashley Martinez Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...