Edge, Music, Q & A + Profiles

Glitch Mob talks EDM, Ultra Music Festival

On tour after releasing their sophomore album, “Love Death Immortality,” The Glitch Mob, a three man EDM group consisting of edIT, Boreta and Ooah, stopped in Miami to perform at the first day of Ultra Music Festival.

The Miami Hurricane sat down with the LA based EDM group to discuss their name, visuals and  plans for the future.

The Miami Hurricane: How did you guys come up with the name The Glitch Mob?

Ooah: There was a point where we were all playing parties individually as DJs, and we decided one day to try this whole thing together as opposed to being individual DJs. We did it. It was really fun. Some of our friends booked us for a festival up north and we had to pick a name.

edIT: It just came out. It was one of those things we joked around about, and before you knew it became the name. It was almost a joke at first. But it caught on.

Boreta: It rolls off the tongue well. It had nothing to do with glitch hop and at the time glitch hop wasn’t really a genre, it was more of a technique we used.

TMH: Is your set list flexible or do you just follow one?

Boreta: We’re more of a band beccause we make all our music. We have a set list that we play, but the way we perform is more of what’s happening on the song. We’ll play notes differently and filter them, but the set’s the same everytime.

TMH: Have you guys played Ultra previously?

Ooah: This is our third time as The Glitch Mob playing Ultra. We’ve done solo DJ sets here before.

TMH: Music festivals or small venues?

Ooah: We love it all. It’s a lot more intimate when you’re headlining. You can connect better with fans. Festivals you’re speaking to a wider audience and it’s an event that people aren’t necessarily there to see you.  It’s a different experience as a whole.

TMH:  Some producers are indifferent to visuals while performing and others like them. What’s TGM’s view on visuals?

Ooah: We have custom visuals and we’re super into it. There’s stuff we created and curated. They all sync to our songs, because we only play our music. We aren’t DJs in a sense that we play other people’s stuff.

TMH: On your off time what do you guys do?

Ooah: Cooking, being outside and hiking in LA. Getting unplugged from the world.

edIT:  I’m really into cycling, exercising and staying healthy. I like watching “True Detective” over and over again.

Boreta: Video games. I’m a big time Skyrim nut.

TMH: Pretty Lights and Bassnectar have come together and made the BassLights festival. Would you guys ever consider that?

Ooah: Absolutely, we’re friends with all those guys. We’ve played with Bassnectar a couple of times.

TMH:  In the next three to five years where do you see TGM?

Ooah: Lots of shows.

Boreta: Probably still touring.

edIT: Working on shows, tours and music.

Frank Malvar

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

We are seeing another sign of a football program’s growing strength and maturation as Mark Richt unf ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

Freshman Daniel Federman will look to make it wins in two straight starts when the Miami Hurricanes ...

Junior Dewi Weber will become the first University of Miami golfer to compete in the Arnold Palmer C ...

The Hurricanes opened spring practice on Tuesday, officially beginning preparations for the 2018 sea ...

For the second week in a row, Estela Perez-Somarriba and Ulyana Shirokova of the Miami women's ...

University of Miami men's tennis senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were named ...