Edge, Music, Q & A + Profiles

Glitch Mob talks EDM, Ultra Music Festival

On tour after releasing their sophomore album, “Love Death Immortality,” The Glitch Mob, a three man EDM group consisting of edIT, Boreta and Ooah, stopped in Miami to perform at the first day of Ultra Music Festival.

The Miami Hurricane sat down with the LA based EDM group to discuss their name, visuals and  plans for the future.

The Miami Hurricane: How did you guys come up with the name The Glitch Mob?

Ooah: There was a point where we were all playing parties individually as DJs, and we decided one day to try this whole thing together as opposed to being individual DJs. We did it. It was really fun. Some of our friends booked us for a festival up north and we had to pick a name.

edIT: It just came out. It was one of those things we joked around about, and before you knew it became the name. It was almost a joke at first. But it caught on.

Boreta: It rolls off the tongue well. It had nothing to do with glitch hop and at the time glitch hop wasn’t really a genre, it was more of a technique we used.

TMH: Is your set list flexible or do you just follow one?

Boreta: We’re more of a band beccause we make all our music. We have a set list that we play, but the way we perform is more of what’s happening on the song. We’ll play notes differently and filter them, but the set’s the same everytime.

TMH: Have you guys played Ultra previously?

Ooah: This is our third time as The Glitch Mob playing Ultra. We’ve done solo DJ sets here before.

TMH: Music festivals or small venues?

Ooah: We love it all. It’s a lot more intimate when you’re headlining. You can connect better with fans. Festivals you’re speaking to a wider audience and it’s an event that people aren’t necessarily there to see you.  It’s a different experience as a whole.

TMH:  Some producers are indifferent to visuals while performing and others like them. What’s TGM’s view on visuals?

Ooah: We have custom visuals and we’re super into it. There’s stuff we created and curated. They all sync to our songs, because we only play our music. We aren’t DJs in a sense that we play other people’s stuff.

TMH: On your off time what do you guys do?

Ooah: Cooking, being outside and hiking in LA. Getting unplugged from the world.

edIT:  I’m really into cycling, exercising and staying healthy. I like watching “True Detective” over and over again.

Boreta: Video games. I’m a big time Skyrim nut.

TMH: Pretty Lights and Bassnectar have come together and made the BassLights festival. Would you guys ever consider that?

Ooah: Absolutely, we’re friends with all those guys. We’ve played with Bassnectar a couple of times.

TMH:  In the next three to five years where do you see TGM?

Ooah: Lots of shows.

Boreta: Probably still touring.

edIT: Working on shows, tours and music.

Frank Malvar

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Five of the greatest football players of all time were inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Ho ...

View photos from the Georgia Tech at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Mia ...

Darrell Langham's miraculous 28-yard catch set up Michael Badgley's game-winning field goa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play Sunday evening at the 2017 Oracle/ITA ...

The University of Miami women's rowing team opened the fall portion of its 2017-18 schedule on ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami volleyball team demonstrated skill on both sides of the ball Sunday, sweepin ...