Freshman dies Wednesday night

Freshman Melissa Ribeiro, a new member of the Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority passed away on Wednesday night at a local hospital from a recent illness.

No further information, including the exact cause of death, has been released yet.

According to her Facebook page, Ribeiro attended Montgomery High School in Skillman, N.J. She was studying at UM’s School of Business and lived in Hecht Residential College.

President Donna E. Shalala released a statement to express sentiments regarding Ribeiro’s death.

“The University of Miami community mourns the death of Melissa Ribeiro after a short illness,” Shalala said. “… She was sensitive, caring, talented, and had a passion for those treated unjustly. Our thoughts and prayers are with Melissa’s family and friends.”

According to Shalala’s statement, Ribeiro was recently inducted into the Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society for freshmen.

Pat Whitely, vice president for student affairs, sent a letter to students on Thursday afternoon to address concerns.

“There have been several inquiries relating to whether there is a public health risk,” Whitely wrote. “The Department of Health and the UM Student Health Service have determined that there is no evidence of such a risk, and no other students are presenting with a similar condition.”

Whitely also expressed her sentiments about the student’s passing.

“She was giving and passionate about life,” Whitely wrote. “Our thoughts and prayers are with Melissa’s family and friends.”

UM is putting together a candlelight vigil to honor Ribeiro at 7:30 p.m. Friday at the UC Patio.

University chaplains and the Counseling Center staff are available to students. For more information, visit miami.edu/chaplains, or contact the Counseling Center at 305-284-5511. The Student Health Center is also available at 305-284-9100 or through email at studenthealth@miami.edu. 

Check themiamihurricane.com for more updates, including coverage of Friday evening’s vigil at the UC Patio.

About Author

Stephanie Parra Editor-in-chief

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...