Freshman dies Wednesday night

Freshman Melissa Ribeiro, a new member of the Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority passed away on Wednesday night at a local hospital from a recent illness.

No further information, including the exact cause of death, has been released yet.

According to her Facebook page, Ribeiro attended Montgomery High School in Skillman, N.J. She was studying at UM’s School of Business and lived in Hecht Residential College.

President Donna E. Shalala released a statement to express sentiments regarding Ribeiro’s death.

“The University of Miami community mourns the death of Melissa Ribeiro after a short illness,” Shalala said. “… She was sensitive, caring, talented, and had a passion for those treated unjustly. Our thoughts and prayers are with Melissa’s family and friends.”

According to Shalala’s statement, Ribeiro was recently inducted into the Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society for freshmen.

Pat Whitely, vice president for student affairs, sent a letter to students on Thursday afternoon to address concerns.

“There have been several inquiries relating to whether there is a public health risk,” Whitely wrote. “The Department of Health and the UM Student Health Service have determined that there is no evidence of such a risk, and no other students are presenting with a similar condition.”

Whitely also expressed her sentiments about the student’s passing.

“She was giving and passionate about life,” Whitely wrote. “Our thoughts and prayers are with Melissa’s family and friends.”

UM is putting together a candlelight vigil to honor Ribeiro at 7:30 p.m. Friday at the UC Patio.

University chaplains and the Counseling Center staff are available to students. For more information, visit miami.edu/chaplains, or contact the Counseling Center at 305-284-5511. The Student Health Center is also available at 305-284-9100 or through email at studenthealth@miami.edu. 

Check themiamihurricane.com for more updates, including coverage of Friday evening’s vigil at the UC Patio.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on fourth-ranked and third-seeded Astra Sharma Wednesd ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...