Students spend time serving communities

Before heading out for spring break, The Miami Hurricane featured different ways a student could their week off. A group of graduate students traveled to Guatemala to film documentaries related to social justice issues. Meanwhile, UM Alternative Breaks took students across the country do service work for various causes. We take a look back at the alternative ways students spent their spring break.

1.  Sophomore Neela Persad digs a hole to plant a tree using a bucket as a frame at Harvest Farms, an addiction recovery center for men in Wellington, Colo.

“It was kind of calming because I would do the work silently by myself and think about things in my life or think about what someone of the rehabilitation facility just told me and just reflect upon their story,” sophomore Neela Persad said.

Photo courtesy UM Alternative Break

2. First-year motion picture graduate students Robert Taylor, Fnu Mingtian, and Kafayat Adegbenro document a woman washing laundry on the shores of Lake Atitlan in Guatemala. The students were part of a motion pictures trip to the country that was tasked with shooting short documentaries on local social and health issues.

“It definitely opens your eyes to tell stories for a different number of people, you meet more characters, you see their culture, so you have more information to describe worlds or people that you want to tell stories about,” said Zulena Segarra-Berrios, second year graduate student.

Photo courtesy Robin Canfield from Actuality Media

3. Professor Ed Talavera and motion picture graduate student Zulena Segarra-Berrios shoot a HIV/AIDS activist in an HIV clinic in Guatemala City.

“You realize that you don’t have to have the giant crew and the big budget that sometimes you can make interesting and thought provoking stories with very little and a small crew,” said Ronnie Khalil, first-year M.F.A. student.

Alysha Khan // Contributing Photographer

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Miami junior Jeb Bargfeldt was among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference with All-ACC ...

Check out photos from the Hurricanes during Day 2 competition at the NCAA Championship. ...

The University of Miami women's track and field team enters the NCAA East Preliminary ranked No ...

After sweeping its final regular season series with Virginia Tech, No. 6 seeded Miami will open its ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team had a 13-stroke improvement on Day 2 at ...