Campus Life, News

Students juggle multiple roles

Anthony Salerno has learned that being a graduate student is like a quick-change artist’s performance.

Before going to teach his marketing class, Salerno changes from his workout clothes to the more professional khakis and button-down shirt. As a Ph.D. student at the business school, he has learned that graduate school involves juggling research, teaching and academics.

However Salerno, better known to his MKT 301 class as Tony, isn’t too fazed.

“It’s a challenge to manage my time among all of those different things, but it is really no different from the schedule of a typical professor,” he said.

Salerno isn’t alone. He is one of dozens of graduate students who are currently teaching undergraduate classes at UM. While teaching requirements differ by department, all graduate students have access to resources that train them to run their own classes.

UM’s Preparing Future Faculty Program, offered to select graduate and post-doctoral students, provides opportunities to learn about faculty roles and responsibilities through workshops, seminars and hands-on activities.

Additionally, groups such as the Graduate Teacher Learning Community exist on campus to help students with issues they may be experiencing in the classroom or in preparing to teach.

While the marketing department requires Salerno to teach a course on his own before he graduates this semester, he enjoys doing so. But it is not always an easy road.

Many graduate student professors, like doctoral student Ewing Medina, feel that they neither identify solely as a student nor as a professor.

“When you are assumed to be a faculty member, but you aren’t really on the faculty, you don’t get those benefits; it’s very easy to be an invisible grad student,” said Medina, who is also the Graduate Student Association vice president.

For undergraduate students, however, graduate student instructors are anything but invisible.

“Being taught by a grad student is nice because they’re so much more relatable,” said freshman Erin Fischer, whose psychology class is taught by a grad student. “They’re not working for tenure; they’re working to build their future, just like the rest of us.”

Students may relate more to Salerno and refer to him on a first-name basis, but they respect him and other graduate student professors as they would any established faculty member.

“It’s easier to connect with them when they’re younger,” sophomore Leslie Baker said. “But there really isn’t a difference. They’re still our teachers.”

Lexi Williams

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...