Departments join forces to solve crime

The University of Miami Police Department (UMPD) and the Coral Gables Police Department joined forces and arrested two individuals linked to robberies involving UM students.

The two defendants are specifically thought to be involved in the robbery that took place on March 16.

The victim and the witness were walking to campus close to midnight when one defendant took the victim’s purse from her hand.

The other defendant served as the lookout when the robbery took place.

The two then left the scene and were seen trying to use a stolen debit card at the 7-Eleven located off Miller Drive.

On Friday, the two defendants confessed to robberies at the UMPD station.

The two were asked to go to the station after members from both UMPD and the Coral Gables Police Department saw that their descriptions matched the video surveillance from the 7-Eleven where the card was declined.

According to the press release issued by the Coral Gables Police Department, both have been arrested and each have been charged with one count of robbery by sudden snatching without a weapon.

They are both at the Miami-Dade County jail.

“UMPD immediately beefed up security after the arrests and continue to maintain a safe campus environment,” said Margot Winick, the assistant vice president of UM Communications.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...