Sports Briefs 3/24

Monique Albuquerque and her partner Clementina Riobueno won their match 8-4, helping to lead Miami to victory over Syracuse on Friday. Victoria McKaba // Contributing Photographer

Women’s tennis

Miami had a big weekend as it extended a long winning streak against two ACC opponents.

The No. 13 Hurricanes first took down Syracuse 7-0 at home on Friday, and then traveled to Winston-Salem, N.C., to face Wake Forest on Sunday. Miami won that battle easily, 6-1.

The women’s team improved to 14-2 overall, with a perfect 8-0 conference record. They will carry their 10-match winning streak into an April 5 matchup with North Carolina.

Men’s tennis

The Canes played arguably their best match of the season and earned a hard win over No. 18 Wake Forest on Saturday.

“I am so proud of the guys,” coach Mario Rincon said. ”They have worked so hard for this in practice and in their conditioning.”

Of note: Gabriel Flores cruised past Adam Lee 6-1, 6-0 and Omar Aly took care of No. 20 Romain Bogaerts 6-3, 7-6 (7-5) to secure the victory.

Track and field 

Miami turned in a strong performance at the Hurricane Invitational, the first of three track and field meets  at home this season.

The Canes notched 11 wins on the second day of competition.

“It was a very good start for us,” coach Amy Deem said. “We’re still training through these meets, but I thought the effort was there.”

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com. 

Spencer Dandes

Five years and two days after being fired as FIU’s football coach, at least one report declares form ...

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...