Sports Briefs 3/24

Monique Albuquerque and her partner Clementina Riobueno won their match 8-4, helping to lead Miami to victory over Syracuse on Friday. Victoria McKaba // Contributing Photographer

Women’s tennis

Miami had a big weekend as it extended a long winning streak against two ACC opponents.

The No. 13 Hurricanes first took down Syracuse 7-0 at home on Friday, and then traveled to Winston-Salem, N.C., to face Wake Forest on Sunday. Miami won that battle easily, 6-1.

The women’s team improved to 14-2 overall, with a perfect 8-0 conference record. They will carry their 10-match winning streak into an April 5 matchup with North Carolina.

Men’s tennis

The Canes played arguably their best match of the season and earned a hard win over No. 18 Wake Forest on Saturday.

“I am so proud of the guys,” coach Mario Rincon said. ”They have worked so hard for this in practice and in their conditioning.”

Of note: Gabriel Flores cruised past Adam Lee 6-1, 6-0 and Omar Aly took care of No. 20 Romain Bogaerts 6-3, 7-6 (7-5) to secure the victory.

Track and field 

Miami turned in a strong performance at the Hurricane Invitational, the first of three track and field meets  at home this season.

The Canes notched 11 wins on the second day of competition.

“It was a very good start for us,” coach Amy Deem said. “We’re still training through these meets, but I thought the effort was there.”

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com. 

Spencer Dandes

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

A sobering reminder came watching the Golden State Warriors slice through the NBA to a championship ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

The Miami women's swimming & diving program was among those recognized by the College Swimm ...

Five members of the University of Miami track and field program will compete against their country ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Dejan Vasiljevic is set to compete for Australia ...

Nine Hurricanes were named to Athlon Sports Preseason All-ACC Teams, including a conference-leading ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...