Show seniors some sympathy

The following is an open letter on behalf of the seniors on the staff of The Miami Hurricane:

Seniors: Think back to your days as a freshman. As a sophomore. As a junior. You’d look at the sleep-deprived seniors with disdain. You’d see the bags under their eyes and their lack of effort and wonder why they had gotten so … lazy.  And boring. And just plain sad.

As we write this letter, there are 46 days, 22 hours, 19 minutes and 53 seconds left until graduation at noon on May 9. If you calculate the amount of days remaining until classes end on April 25, there are approximately 32 days left.

The light at the end of the tunnel is near. Graduation is so close. Still, seniors, we have countless job applications to submit, graduate school decisions to make, tests to study for and papers to complete. Forty-six days seems like such a small amount of time to make decisions that will affect the rest of your life. Having to complete all these tasks, at this moment, seems like a form of cruel and unusual punishment. The end is just not close enough. We know how you feel … there are eight of us on this staff graduating on May 9.

When people ask us what we’re doing after graduation, we cringe. If we knew, we would probably be singing about it from the top of the Student Activities Center. So, please, stop asking us about our plans, lest you end up the topic of a BuzzFeed article.

Even though some seniors already have their plans squared away, some of us aren’t so lucky yet. Once we figure out all the details, we’ll be sure to send a memo by carrier pigeon to all parties involved. Rest assured, you’ll be the first person to get your letter. We know, you’re waiting with bated breath.

So, underclassmen and members of our fellow student organizations: Appreciate your graduating seniors. Have some sympathy. There’s a lot going on for us right now, and some of us may not want to discuss it yet. In a year or so, you’ll be in our shoes. Until then, be patient, and maybe karma will send you your very own underclassmen to help you pick up the slack next year.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...