Show seniors some sympathy

The following is an open letter on behalf of the seniors on the staff of The Miami Hurricane:

Seniors: Think back to your days as a freshman. As a sophomore. As a junior. You’d look at the sleep-deprived seniors with disdain. You’d see the bags under their eyes and their lack of effort and wonder why they had gotten so … lazy.  And boring. And just plain sad.

As we write this letter, there are 46 days, 22 hours, 19 minutes and 53 seconds left until graduation at noon on May 9. If you calculate the amount of days remaining until classes end on April 25, there are approximately 32 days left.

The light at the end of the tunnel is near. Graduation is so close. Still, seniors, we have countless job applications to submit, graduate school decisions to make, tests to study for and papers to complete. Forty-six days seems like such a small amount of time to make decisions that will affect the rest of your life. Having to complete all these tasks, at this moment, seems like a form of cruel and unusual punishment. The end is just not close enough. We know how you feel … there are eight of us on this staff graduating on May 9.

When people ask us what we’re doing after graduation, we cringe. If we knew, we would probably be singing about it from the top of the Student Activities Center. So, please, stop asking us about our plans, lest you end up the topic of a BuzzFeed article.

Even though some seniors already have their plans squared away, some of us aren’t so lucky yet. Once we figure out all the details, we’ll be sure to send a memo by carrier pigeon to all parties involved. Rest assured, you’ll be the first person to get your letter. We know, you’re waiting with bated breath.

So, underclassmen and members of our fellow student organizations: Appreciate your graduating seniors. Have some sympathy. There’s a lot going on for us right now, and some of us may not want to discuss it yet. In a year or so, you’ll be in our shoes. Until then, be patient, and maybe karma will send you your very own underclassmen to help you pick up the slack next year.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

About Author

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

View photos of the first day of Miami Hurricanes spring football practice on Tues., March 22, 2017 … ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

At the Net with Jesse Flores ...

At the Net with... ...

Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team has been selected to participate in an upcoming U.S. U-23 W ...

Freshman Greg Veliz put together another strong midweek outing as the Hurricanes beat FAU 7-5. ...

Junior Piotr Lomacki represents the Canes in the ITA singles rankings, released Tuesday, at No. 73. ...