Sports Briefs 3/20

Men’s tennis

Miami defeated Wisconsin on Monday behind strong performances from its senior singles players. Omar Aly, Gabriel Flores and Diego Soto all won their matches after the Canes clinched the doubles point, so Miami notched a quick 4-0 win.

“Wisconsin is a great program,” said Rincon. “They rattled us, but we were able to stay on track. We knew it was going to be a tough match. I am proud of the team.”

The Hurricanes host Wake Forest at 4 p.m. Friday, followed by N.C. State at noon Sunday.

Women’s basketball

The Miami women’s basketball team missed out on the Big Dance this year, but there is still a chance for the Canes to make some postseason noise.

The WNIT kicks off Thursday as Miami hosts Stetson for a first-round matchup at 7 p.m. Despite missing the NCAA Tournament this season, it is the fifth straight year the Miami women will play in the postseason.

With a win Thursday at the BankUnited Center, the Hurricanes will face either South Florida or North Carolina A&T in the second round.

Women’s tennis

The Canes won their eighth straight match, 6-1 over Princeton, on Wednesday. Miami has risen to No. 13 in the nation, and will look to continue its hot streak at home at 11 a.m. Friday against Syracuse.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com. 

Spencer Dandes

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Hurricanes will be playing for all of South Florida when they host Toledo on Saturday at Hard Ro ...

The duo won its first seven matches of the  spring and went on to advance to the third round of the ...

The weekly ProCanes Report will weed through all the NFL highlights and news to bring you the inform ...

View some of the best images from the Miami women's tennis team's picture day in advance o ...

The men's cross country team moved up one spot to No. 14 in the South Region in the NCAA Divisi ...