Sports Briefs 3/20

Men’s tennis

Miami defeated Wisconsin on Monday behind strong performances from its senior singles players. Omar Aly, Gabriel Flores and Diego Soto all won their matches after the Canes clinched the doubles point, so Miami notched a quick 4-0 win.

“Wisconsin is a great program,” said Rincon. “They rattled us, but we were able to stay on track. We knew it was going to be a tough match. I am proud of the team.”

The Hurricanes host Wake Forest at 4 p.m. Friday, followed by N.C. State at noon Sunday.

Women’s basketball

The Miami women’s basketball team missed out on the Big Dance this year, but there is still a chance for the Canes to make some postseason noise.

The WNIT kicks off Thursday as Miami hosts Stetson for a first-round matchup at 7 p.m. Despite missing the NCAA Tournament this season, it is the fifth straight year the Miami women will play in the postseason.

With a win Thursday at the BankUnited Center, the Hurricanes will face either South Florida or North Carolina A&T in the second round.

Women’s tennis

The Canes won their eighth straight match, 6-1 over Princeton, on Wednesday. Miami has risen to No. 13 in the nation, and will look to continue its hot streak at home at 11 a.m. Friday against Syracuse.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com. 

Spencer Dandes

Randy Ableman has built something special with his Miami Hurricanes diving program. Here’s why: Ther ...

Two days after the University of Miami football team played its spring game, coach Mark Richt stayed ...

The University of Miami’s most anticipated Atlantic Coast Conference baseball series of the season e ...

The University of Miami announced Sunday evening that sophomore safety Jeff James, Jr., has parted w ...

UM’s 2018 recruiting class, already regarded as the best in the country, added two more gems over th ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...

Malcolm Grant plays for Tajfun Sentjur in Slovenia ...

The University of Miami Department of Athletics continued to earn high praise with its student-athle ...

The University of Miami men's tennis match against Virginia Tech has been cancelled due to heav ...

The series finale between Miami and Florida State at Mark Light Field was cancelled due to inclement ...