Sports Briefs 3/20

Men’s tennis

Miami defeated Wisconsin on Monday behind strong performances from its senior singles players. Omar Aly, Gabriel Flores and Diego Soto all won their matches after the Canes clinched the doubles point, so Miami notched a quick 4-0 win.

“Wisconsin is a great program,” said Rincon. “They rattled us, but we were able to stay on track. We knew it was going to be a tough match. I am proud of the team.”

The Hurricanes host Wake Forest at 4 p.m. Friday, followed by N.C. State at noon Sunday.

Women’s basketball

The Miami women’s basketball team missed out on the Big Dance this year, but there is still a chance for the Canes to make some postseason noise.

The WNIT kicks off Thursday as Miami hosts Stetson for a first-round matchup at 7 p.m. Despite missing the NCAA Tournament this season, it is the fifth straight year the Miami women will play in the postseason.

With a win Thursday at the BankUnited Center, the Hurricanes will face either South Florida or North Carolina A&T in the second round.

Women’s tennis

The Canes won their eighth straight match, 6-1 over Princeton, on Wednesday. Miami has risen to No. 13 in the nation, and will look to continue its hot streak at home at 11 a.m. Friday against Syracuse.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com. 

Spencer Dandes

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team will travel to Georgia Tech and Clemson this week for the fi ...