March brackets are pure madness

It’s almost that time of year again. All that matters is luck and the crafty art of randomness.

For those not aware, the best postseason in sports, the NCAA Basketball Tournament, is approaching, and there are important playoff brackets to be selected.

Across the nation, people of all demographics will overthink hundreds of matchups that are far less important than the report they have due the next day.

However, there’s always a chance you could win. And that’s what sports are all about.

On that note, here are a few simple steps for picking the right bracket:

1.  Write all 64 March Madness schools on individual note cards, and then arrange them in their actual bracket spots.

2.  Randomly remove two of the one seeds, and gently place them into a stinky diaper. They will deserve this after they ruin your bracket for you in the Elite 8. Don’t let them do that.

3.   Take all of the two seeds, casually dip them in peanut butter, and then feed them to your neighborhood rabid dog. Half of these two seeds will indubitably lose to 15 seeds in the first round (i.e. Florida Gulf Coast), and the other half will decide to lose in the Sweet 16 just because they can.

4. Retrieve Wisconsin, Ohio State and North Carolina. Almost every year, people pick these teams and get sad when their brackets turn inside out. Lock those cards in a room that has the chorus from “Baby” by Justin Bieber playing on loop. Now more than ever, these schools do not have the talent to continually advance (unless UNC magically plays Michigan State, Kentucky and Louisville in succession). Trust me, they deserve this terrible torture.

5. Pick up the Magic 8 Ball. Ask it: “Are Dylan and Doug McDermott related?” If it says no, throw the Creighton card away. If it says yes, throw the Magic 8 Ball away and repeat previous steps until satisfactory answer is received.

6.  Locate every team that has previously been in the Big East (probably Louisville, Syracuse, Cincinnati and Villanova), and give them a lollipop. They are your friends in this tournament. (Note: Give Syracuse the most broken of the lollipops. Miami should have beaten them both times).

7.   Ask a random woman in your office or Grandma which team to pick from this narrowed group. I don’t know why, but these two specific categories of women are always right. Probably because Grandmas are awesome. Hi Grandma, love you.

Obviously these are extreme steps, but my point is that March Madness outcomes are almost impossible to guess correctly. Therefore, try to have fun picking your bracket ­– ­because if a decision is too tough to make, you are probably thinking too hard.

My prediction: Miami will go undefeated in this tournament. Go Canes.

Danny New is a freshman majoring in broadcast journalism.

About Author

Danny New

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

View photos of the first day of Miami Hurricanes spring football practice on Tues., March 22, 2017 … ...

News and views from the first day of UM football spring practice: • Found it interesting that when M ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

At the Net with Jesse Flores ...

At the Net with... ...

Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team has been selected to participate in an upcoming U.S. U-23 W ...

Freshman Greg Veliz put together another strong midweek outing as the Hurricanes beat FAU 7-5. ...

Junior Piotr Lomacki represents the Canes in the ITA singles rankings, released Tuesday, at No. 73. ...