Avoid labels to embrace understanding

She’s a b*tch. He’s assertive. She’s crazy. He’s expressive. It’s a war of words, and women are losing.

If I had a dollar for each time I’ve heard a guy dismiss his ex as crazy, I’d have enough money to pay for my own loony bin treatment. The thing I find crazy is how common it is for guys to use labels on women whose behavior they find inconvenient or uncomfortable.

The same goes for whenever an assertive girl is called a b*tch. Assertive guys are hailed as tough go-getters, while strong women who go after what they want are called b*tches. This labeling attitude diminishes women and their emotions and helps maintain an unequal society.

Brushing off women’s expressive behavior by calling them “crazy” inhibits the chance for honest, open relationships – something that hinders both women and men. Likewise, tossing around “b*tch” causes women to question their emotions, their actions and themselves.

Labeling must be curtailed, and we can start by expanding our vocabulary. Men should address things they find annoying or overly emotional, call them for what they are and try to find the meaning behind them. For those who don’t label, call out people who do. If people are made aware of how damaging labels are, they’re more likely to stop using them. One or two syllables can carry more weight than you think.

Maybe when we figure out the reason someone is acting the way they are, we won’t find it so “crazy.” We might even discover mistakes made on our own part caused the behavior we deem so irrational.

Melanie Martinez is a sophomore majoring in journalism.

Melanie Martinez

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...