Community, Edge

Ways to Spice Up your Spring Social calendar

The month of March revolves around spring break travels and beach days. But break can be rough if you’re left out while others go on nice trips, and bad weather spoils the beach. Instead of spending all that time looking around for what to do, make every day feel like spring break and check out these events.

Calle Ocho Festival 

Calle Ocho is the largest street festival in Miami. It celebrates Miami’s Latin culture in Little Havana. Walking around the festival, you’ll see performers and hear merengue, bachata and rap. People proudly show off their home countries, and there is Latin American and Caribbean food everywhere. The festival has 12 stages set up. This year Daddy Yankee and Sean Paul are scheduled to perform at the Power 96 stage.

Calle Ocho Festival runs from Eighth Street to SW 27th Ave.

Calle Ocho Festival runs from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday.

Edouard Duval-Carrié: Imagined Landscapes exhibition at the Perez Art Museum Miami

This exhibition project, done by Haitian-born, Miami-based artist Edouard Duval-Carrie, is a series of his new work from the past year. The exhibition will feature large-scale paintings and sculptures. Duval-Carrie is known for his strong colors, but there are works in this project in black and silver glitter. His art is influenced by African fables, classic mythology and Haitian and world history with contemporary events.

PAMM is located at 1103 Biscayne Blvd., Miami. It is open Tuesday to Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Thursday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.  The exhibit runs from March 13 to Aug. 31. 

Sony Open

Watching Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic ferociously hitting tennis balls at over 80 mph is just one of the sights at the Sony Open. During these two weeks, the Crandon Park Tennis Center features live music, food and Q&As with big shot players like Nadal, Djokovic and Maria Sharapova.

Tickets range from $11 to more than $300, depending on seat location. Tickets can be purchased by phone at 305-442-3367 or online at sonyopentennis.com.

Crandon Park Tennis Center is located at 7300 Crandon Blvd., Key Biscayne, Fla. The Sony Open runs from March 17 to March 30. 

Winter Music Conference

EDM fans have WMC marked on their calendars before anything else. With most of the prominent DJs and producers gathering in one city, it’s no wonder people look forward to it more than kids do to Christmas. There are tons of events to choose from, whether it’s a Tuesday pool party at a South Beach hotel or Ultra Music Festival, which is the event that closes WMC.

If you like bass music and getting the most for as little as possible, you’ll want to stick with WMC events at Grand Central such as: Bromance & Friends, Grand Central Tour Launch Party and HARD Miami. Can’t miss producers include Flux Pavilion, Doctor P, Brodinski and Gesaffelstein will spin there.

Tickets for every WMC event differ, ranging from $20 to over $300. Winter Music Conference runs from March 21 to March 30.

About Author

Frank Malvar

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...