Community, Edge

Ways to Spice Up your Spring Social calendar

The month of March revolves around spring break travels and beach days. But break can be rough if you’re left out while others go on nice trips, and bad weather spoils the beach. Instead of spending all that time looking around for what to do, make every day feel like spring break and check out these events.

Calle Ocho Festival 

Calle Ocho is the largest street festival in Miami. It celebrates Miami’s Latin culture in Little Havana. Walking around the festival, you’ll see performers and hear merengue, bachata and rap. People proudly show off their home countries, and there is Latin American and Caribbean food everywhere. The festival has 12 stages set up. This year Daddy Yankee and Sean Paul are scheduled to perform at the Power 96 stage.

Calle Ocho Festival runs from Eighth Street to SW 27th Ave.

Calle Ocho Festival runs from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday.

Edouard Duval-Carrié: Imagined Landscapes exhibition at the Perez Art Museum Miami

This exhibition project, done by Haitian-born, Miami-based artist Edouard Duval-Carrie, is a series of his new work from the past year. The exhibition will feature large-scale paintings and sculptures. Duval-Carrie is known for his strong colors, but there are works in this project in black and silver glitter. His art is influenced by African fables, classic mythology and Haitian and world history with contemporary events.

PAMM is located at 1103 Biscayne Blvd., Miami. It is open Tuesday to Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Thursday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.  The exhibit runs from March 13 to Aug. 31. 

Sony Open

Watching Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic ferociously hitting tennis balls at over 80 mph is just one of the sights at the Sony Open. During these two weeks, the Crandon Park Tennis Center features live music, food and Q&As with big shot players like Nadal, Djokovic and Maria Sharapova.

Tickets range from $11 to more than $300, depending on seat location. Tickets can be purchased by phone at 305-442-3367 or online at sonyopentennis.com.

Crandon Park Tennis Center is located at 7300 Crandon Blvd., Key Biscayne, Fla. The Sony Open runs from March 17 to March 30. 

Winter Music Conference

EDM fans have WMC marked on their calendars before anything else. With most of the prominent DJs and producers gathering in one city, it’s no wonder people look forward to it more than kids do to Christmas. There are tons of events to choose from, whether it’s a Tuesday pool party at a South Beach hotel or Ultra Music Festival, which is the event that closes WMC.

If you like bass music and getting the most for as little as possible, you’ll want to stick with WMC events at Grand Central such as: Bromance & Friends, Grand Central Tour Launch Party and HARD Miami. Can’t miss producers include Flux Pavilion, Doctor P, Brodinski and Gesaffelstein will spin there.

Tickets for every WMC event differ, ranging from $20 to over $300. Winter Music Conference runs from March 21 to March 30.

Frank Malvar

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Miami junior Jeb Bargfeldt was among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference with All-ACC ...

Check out photos from the Hurricanes during Day 2 competition at the NCAA Championship. ...

The University of Miami women's track and field team enters the NCAA East Preliminary ranked No ...

After sweeping its final regular season series with Virginia Tech, No. 6 seeded Miami will open its ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team had a 13-stroke improvement on Day 2 at ...