Campus Life, News

Food trucks provide diverse weekly dessert options

Students with a sweet tooth now have five different dessert trucks on campus to satisfy their cravings. The only dessert  shop on campus, Red Mango Frozen Yogurt, closed at the end of last semester.

The dessert truck rotation started on Jan. 14 after Chartwells, the university’s food service provider, presented the idea to the Student Government (SG) Senate. There is a different truck every day of the week from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday at the Rock. Trucks include Churro Mania, Hip Pops, Gozen Yogurt, Dolci Peccati and Cold Stone Creamery.

A decision was made to close Red Mango because it was not meeting students’ standards. Jamba Juice replaced Red Mango in the Student Activities Center.

The Senate agreed to this new idea of dessert trucks on campus because they felt the trucks would give the student body more choices.

Brianna Hathaway, speaker pro tempore of the SG Senate, said Red Mango did not meet the needs of the students.  Hathaway said the dessert trucks are a big opportunity to “try something new and bring greater variety onto campus.”

Chartwells contacted the most popular trucks in the Miami and Broward areas, and formed a relationship with these vendors to come on campus on a trial basis for the entire semester.

According to Joey Sanchez, director of operations for Chartwells, the Rock was chosen as the permanent site of the trucks because it “is the only place where we had the permission to allocate these dessert trucks.”

Aside from this, the Rock is also located next to the UC Breezeway where student organizations and most students travel through on their way to and from classes.

The prices vary across the different dessert trucks from $3 to $6.

Sophomore Austin King stood in a line of 20 people last week.

“I make my way by these trucks twice a week, and I love them because you get a flavor here that you can’t find anywhere else,” he said.

Chartwells measures the satisfaction levels through daily sales, customer counts and surveys that are administered each semester primarily to students. The specific numbers were not disclosed.

Michael Ross, the resident district manager for Chartwells, says the company will revisit the issue if students’ needs are not being met.

“If this new implementation of dessert options on campus is not meeting the students’ expectations, then Chartwells will consider meeting again with the student Senate to discuss further possibilities,” he said.

Devon-Ashley Wade

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...