Food Court should court other options

With Phase Two of the Dining Master Plan underway, we can expect exciting new eating options in the coming year – from Pollo Tropical to a salad station to a venue selling gourmet burgers. Another one of these additions is a larger convenience store with fresher and healthier options located at the Hurricane Food Court – and yet, just a mere 116 steps from the current C-store. Trust us on the number of steps – we counted. The university’s intention is to keep the old C-store on campus as well, but The Miami Hurricane editorial board suggests that we take advantage of the current C-store space and replace it with a different venue. Here are a few suggestions

Beauty salon:

A beauty salon for students to get haircuts would help make this a more self-sustained campus. When freshmen arrive in Miami, they don’t know where to go get haircuts, and throughout the four years, it’s an inconvenience to leave campus for such a simple errand. Other college campuses, like Florida International University and the University of Florida, have had salons and barber shops, which are convenient timesaving resources. Students could also do their nails or get other beauty treatments on the weekends.

Centralized services:

The Writing Center and the office for getting new Cane Cards have both moved to farther parts of campus. Either could be moved into the space currently occupied by the C-store and allow students to take advantage of these services more often or access them more quickly. Services like these should be centralized.

Student space:

The addition of another study space where students can work together on projects, or even just hang out and eat, would allow students to meet up between classes without walking all the way from the classroom buildings to the Student Activities Center.

Italian food option:

On campus, we have a variety of food cuisine options, ranging from Asian to Mexican. But, the addition of an Italian food option, featuring pizza and pasta, would be a crowd-pleaser.

Tell us what you think the C-store space should be used for with the hashtag #TMHtweetup and see your answer featured in Thursday’s issue.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

About Author

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...

Football players Braxton Berrios and Demetrius Jackson, soccer player Phallon Tullis-Joyce, cross co ...