News, Profiles

Documentary follows life of quadriplegic soldier

Travis Mills is a former United States Army sergeant with a wife and daughter. In 2012, on his 25th birthday, he woke up in a hospital. Four days before, he had an incident with a homemade bomb, which caused him to lose portions of his arms and legs.

A documentary crew followed him through his recovery process. Now, he’s a motivational speaker who inspires people to never quit. On Monday, Mills will talk at a screening of the documentary “Travis: A Soldier’s Story” at the Cosford Cinema. The Miami Hurricane got the chance to ask Mills a few questions about his experiences since the accident, what filming was like and his plans for the future.

The Miami Hurricane: When you woke up in a hospital bed after the incident, what were you thoughts?

Travis Mills: My brother-in-law was beside me in the hospital. I kept asking him, ‘Am I paralyzed? I don’t feel my legs or arms.’ He told me, ‘No, you’re not paralyzed. You’re missing your arms and legs.’

TMH: When the incident happened, you must have had a strong foundation, right?

TM: I had the support of my beautiful wife and daughter, as well as my family. I was always moving forward, never backwards.

TMH: What got you into the military?

TM: I wanted adventure. I really wanted some fun.

TMH: Is this your first time in Miami?

TM: It is my first time. I’m excited. I’m going to sky dive in Homestead, go to a Heat game and have a good time.

TMH: How did it feel being filmed?

TM: It didn’t bother me at all. I think it bothered the cameramen.

TMH: What was it like to have a screening of the documentary at Times Square?

TM: Awesome. It sold out, over 400-plus tickets. Everyone was into it. People were excited.

TMH: What do you hope people get from the film?

TM: My mantra, ‘Never give up, never quit.’ It’s gonna get better. Reminisce, don’t dwell. Tell me I can’t, and I’ll show you I can. I go work out, fish, kayak and even drive.

TMH: How do you workout? What exercises do you do?

TM: I do lots of abs. I run. I walk with no wheelchair. Pretty much anything that gets my heart racing. Summer’s coming up, and I got to get beach body ready. You know how that is. It’s funny how people forget I don’t have arms or legs, so when someone suggests a product for my nails, I laugh and tell them, ‘what nails?’

TMH: What do you drive? And how do you drive?

TM: I’m currently driving my Ford F250 truck, and I also drive a van. There’s a handle on my right side that controls the acceleration and break. I use my prosthetic hands to control it.

TMH: As a retired U.S. staff sergeant, what do you miss from the military?

TM: I enjoyed the brotherhood and adventure. I got asked to stay, but I choose my family.

TMH: Do you have any future goals?

TM: Be there for my daughter. She’ll watch me fall and struggle sometimes, but never see me fail.

SCREENING OF “TRAVIS: A SOLDIER’S STORY”

Where: Cosford Cinema

When: Monday at 7 p.m.

The screening will be followed by a Q&A with Sgt. Travis Mills. Tickets cost $35 and can only be purchased online at travisthemoviemiami.eventbrite.com.

Frank Malvar

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...