SG plans outreaches, student events for this month

Welcome to the February edition of the monthly Student Government (SG) Column. We have a lot going on, so let’s get right into it.

This month, SG underwent a revamp in the way we communicate with the student body. We felt it was important to increase our transparency and have a more direct dialogue with all of you. Some examples of what we’ve changed are publishing a letter from SG President Bhumi Patel every Monday, creating a graphic every Friday summarizing the week and using #UMSenateLive to live-tweet every Senate meeting on Wednesday afternoons.

SG Elections were also this month. Congratulations to the elected students, and thank you to the 1,951 students that voted. If you are interested in getting involved in SG, applications that are currently available for certain Senate seats are due Friday at 5 p.m. Visit miami.edu/sg and click on the “Get Involved” tab to find the application.

The end of March is going to be a big one for Student Government. On March 19, we will spend the afternoon on the Rock talking to students. That night we have Eat ‘N Greet, a forum for student organizations to communicate with SG. On March 20 at 5 p.m. on the Rock is the “State of the U” address, a speech by Bhumi discussing how this year went. Then, on March 22, we are organizing a trip to the Venetian Pool.

ECO Agency’s Kill-A-Watt competition is in full swing. Using the software on buildingdashboard.net/miami, ECO is tracking how various buildings on campus use energy. The building with the most energy savings by March 7 will win free Chipotle.

Category 5 wants to give a shout-out to all the freshmen that participated in Freshman Walk at the baseball game against the University of Florida. Many exciting promotions are coming for baseball games, so make sure you like facebook.com/UMCategory5 for more information.

The Outdoor Fitness Court opened this month. This initiative was part of our goal of improving health and wellness for students on campus. We also held the first Entrepreneur’s Row, which gave student entrepreneurs an opportunity to showcase their businesses to the student body and campus at-large.

Let us know what SG can do for you by stopping by the SG Office in SAC 210 or finding us on online at facebook.com/UMiamiSG, twitter.com/UMiamiSG and miami.edu/sg.

Adam Orshan is a senior majoring in international marketing and finance.

About Author

Adam Orshan

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...