News, Photo

Hillary Clinton visits BankUnited Center Wednesday night

Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

POLITICAL PROWESS: Former Secretary of State Hillary R. Clinton visited campus Wednesday night to address students.

President Donna E. Shalala, who served as United States Secretary of Health and Human Services while Clinton was first lady, introduced Clinton to the stage.

“She is my friend and colleague and we share too many memories to count,” Shalala said.

Similarly, Clinton spoke about Shalala when she took the stage.

“As someone who has known her for a very long time, she has the capacity to inspire, and she does it by bringing people together,” Clinton said about Shalala.

Clinton spoke about the importance of participation.

“This generation is one of the most open-minded and tolerant we have ever seen,” Clinton said. “The more we encourag e people to participate, to have a stake in the future, the more well off we will be.”

After her remarks, Shalala conducted a Q&A session, for which students submitted questions in the days leading to the event. Topics discussed ranged from the situations abroad in Venezuela and Syria, environmental issues and health care affordability.

Monica Herndon

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...