News, Photo

Hillary Clinton visits BankUnited Center Wednesday night

Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

POLITICAL PROWESS: Former Secretary of State Hillary R. Clinton visited campus Wednesday night to address students.

President Donna E. Shalala, who served as United States Secretary of Health and Human Services while Clinton was first lady, introduced Clinton to the stage.

“She is my friend and colleague and we share too many memories to count,” Shalala said.

Similarly, Clinton spoke about Shalala when she took the stage.

“As someone who has known her for a very long time, she has the capacity to inspire, and she does it by bringing people together,” Clinton said about Shalala.

Clinton spoke about the importance of participation.

“This generation is one of the most open-minded and tolerant we have ever seen,” Clinton said. “The more we encourag e people to participate, to have a stake in the future, the more well off we will be.”

After her remarks, Shalala conducted a Q&A session, for which students submitted questions in the days leading to the event. Topics discussed ranged from the situations abroad in Venezuela and Syria, environmental issues and health care affordability.

About Author

Monica Herndon

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...