News, Photo

Hillary Clinton visits BankUnited Center Wednesday night

Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

POLITICAL PROWESS: Former Secretary of State Hillary R. Clinton visited campus Wednesday night to address students.

President Donna E. Shalala, who served as United States Secretary of Health and Human Services while Clinton was first lady, introduced Clinton to the stage.

“She is my friend and colleague and we share too many memories to count,” Shalala said.

Similarly, Clinton spoke about Shalala when she took the stage.

“As someone who has known her for a very long time, she has the capacity to inspire, and she does it by bringing people together,” Clinton said about Shalala.

Clinton spoke about the importance of participation.

“This generation is one of the most open-minded and tolerant we have ever seen,” Clinton said. “The more we encourag e people to participate, to have a stake in the future, the more well off we will be.”

After her remarks, Shalala conducted a Q&A session, for which students submitted questions in the days leading to the event. Topics discussed ranged from the situations abroad in Venezuela and Syria, environmental issues and health care affordability.

Monica Herndon

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Five members of the University of Maimi track and field team advanced on Day 1 of the NCAA East Prel ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...