Administration, News

Wellness Center director to retire

Norm Parsons, executive director of the Wellness Center, announced his retirement Friday.

When Parsons officially steps down in October, it will mark his 43rd year at the university.

“To be honest, it’s time to try to go on, I’ve got a couple of grandkids and some grand cats that I need to visit,” he said.

Parsons led the efforts to build the Wellness Center in 1996 and then worked to facilitate the subsequent expansion in 2011.

Additionally, Parsons was coach of the 1977 and 1978 National Champion Women’s Golf team and has served as chair of the Student Publications Committee since 1985. He is also a member of Iron Arrow and was its adviser from 1995 to 2009.

He is also credited with expanding the intramural and club sports programs.

Among his accolades, Parsons was also inducted into the University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame in 2013.

“It’s probably time for some new blood in the old Wellness Center and at the U but it’s been a great run and I’ve had a wonderful time,” Parsons said.

The Miami Hurricane will feature extended coverage of Parsons’ retirement in Thursday’s issue. 

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

Jaquan Johnson doesn’t necessarily look intimidating. But he plays like a monster. Johnson, UM’s 5-1 ...

It will determine which state rival makes the American Athletic Conference championship game when th ...

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America came to the University of Miami Scho ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

A pair of Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized with weekly honors from the Atlantic Coast Co ...

The Miami women's basketball team will host the first of its two elementary school days Tuesday ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team welcomed three new members to the program with the si ...