Weekend Roundup

Senior Melissa Bolivar and sophomore Kelsey Laurente play doubles during the match against Notre Dame on Sunday afternoon. Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

There was a lot of action around Coral Gables this weekend. The men’s and women’s basketball teams, baseball team and men’s and women’s tennis teams all hosted important matchups

Brown hits 1,000

The Hurricanes turned in their finest ACC performance of the season on Saturday, destroying Boston College 69-42.

It was a dominant game all around for Miami, which got 22 points from Rion Brown, plus 14 points and nine rebounds from Erik Swoope. In the process, Brown surpassed 1,000 career points. He is the 35th men’s basketball player in Hurricanes history to reach the milestone.

Boston College (7-20, 3-11 ACC) was riding high after it took down No. 1 Syracuse earlier in the week. But the Eagles managed just 32 percent shooting during the afternoon contest at the BankUnited Center.

Miami, on the other hand, shot 47 percent with a 50-percent clip from 3-point range (7-for-14). The Canes (14-13, 5-9 ACC) have won back-to-back conference games for the first time this year.

With four games left on their schedule, the Hurricanes now hit the road for three straight. First up is No. 14 Virginia at 7 p.m. Wednesday. The Cavaliers took over first place in the ACCstandings when Syracuse fell to Duke on Saturday.

After that matchup, Miami faces N.C. State and Clemson before returning wrapping up the season March 8 at home against Wake Forest.

Canes strong at ACC tournament

Miami’s swimming and diving team traveled to Greensboro, N.C., to compete in the 2014 ACC Championships. In total, the Canes brought home seven individual medals.

Sam Dorman took silver in the men’s 3-meter dive, while Thea Vock placed second in the women’s 1-meter dive.

Cheyenne Cousineau and Tanner Wilfong also medaled for Miami in their respective dive events, which helped propel the Hurricanes to a third-place overall finish for the men and a ninth-place standing for the UM women.

Miami returns to Greensboro in two weeks for the NCAA Zone Diving Meet. That event will be held March 10 to March 12.

Miami beats Wake Forest

Adrienne Motley scored 15 points to lead the Miami women’s basketball team past Wake Forest on Sunday.

The Canes withstood a 23-point, 13-rebound performance from Demon Deacons forward Dearica Hamby and got the win.

Miami pulled out the 72-64 victory with key contributions from Keyona Hayes (12 points) and Suriya Mcguire (11 points).

The Hurricanes (14-13, 6-8 ACC) have a chance to reach .500 in conference play if they win their last two games.

They face Virginia on Thursday, then Pittsburgh at home March 2.

Spencer Dandes

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...