News Briefs 2/24

Hillary Clinton

Hillary Clinton, former United States Secretary of State and former U.S. Senator from New York, will visit the University of Miami Wednesday at the BankUnited Center. Her keynote remarks will begin at 8:30 p.m. Tickets to the event are still available at the University Center ticket window. Only one ticket is allowed per valid Cane Card. The Miami Hurricane will be live tweeting throughout Clinton’s visit, using the hashtag “#HillaryVisitsUM.” Highlights from the event will also be featured on the Hurricane’s multimedia page, themiamihurricane.com/tmhtv.

Greek Week

Greek Week began Sunday with opening ceremonies. As part of Greek Week, the annual blood drive will take place Monday to Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. in the Student Activities Center ballrooms. Philanthropy Day will take place Tuesday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Rock. The God and Goddess event will be Wednesday from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the UC Patio.

Safe Spring Break

PIER 21 will be presenting Safe Spring Break programs from noon to 2 p.m. Monday to Thursday at the Rock. The events will focus on topics such as personal and highway safety, alcohol, impaired driving, sleep and sun safety. The theme will be “Check Yourself before You Wreck Yourself.”

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...