News Briefs 2/24

Hillary Clinton

Hillary Clinton, former United States Secretary of State and former U.S. Senator from New York, will visit the University of Miami Wednesday at the BankUnited Center. Her keynote remarks will begin at 8:30 p.m. Tickets to the event are still available at the University Center ticket window. Only one ticket is allowed per valid Cane Card. The Miami Hurricane will be live tweeting throughout Clinton’s visit, using the hashtag “#HillaryVisitsUM.” Highlights from the event will also be featured on the Hurricane’s multimedia page, themiamihurricane.com/tmhtv.

Greek Week

Greek Week began Sunday with opening ceremonies. As part of Greek Week, the annual blood drive will take place Monday to Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. in the Student Activities Center ballrooms. Philanthropy Day will take place Tuesday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Rock. The God and Goddess event will be Wednesday from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the UC Patio.

Safe Spring Break

PIER 21 will be presenting Safe Spring Break programs from noon to 2 p.m. Monday to Thursday at the Rock. The events will focus on topics such as personal and highway safety, alcohol, impaired driving, sleep and sun safety. The theme will be “Check Yourself before You Wreck Yourself.”

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...