Baseball, Sports

Miami turns tables on UF with big series win

Senior Tyler Palmer (9) and sophomore David Thompson (8) celebrate with senior Dale Carey (36) after his homerun during the last game of the series against University of Florida on Sunday. Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

The Florida Gators have had their way with the Hurricanes, of late.

Sixteen of the past 18 matchups had gone UF’s way, including 13 of the last 14 overall. Florida repeatedly crushed Miami’s postseason hopes over the last few years.

But the Canes, ranked No. 11 in the nation, reversed the trend with two big wins this weekend before they fell to the Gators again on Sunday.

In winning the series over No. 16 Florida, Miami improved to 4-3 this season.

On Friday and Saturday, Miami displayed considerable power at the plate. Dale Carey, Willie Abreu and Garrett Kennedy all homered during the series opener, their first long balls of the year.

Their offense helped the Canes overcome an early 3-0 deficit and earn a win for starter Chris Diaz.

The junior improved to 2-0 in his first two appearances, lasting seven innings on Friday. He settled down after surrendering three runs in the first frame.

“Chris pitched a very good game,” coach Jim Morris said. “He didn’t fold up and go home. He kept battling and pitched great after that.”

Abreu, a freshman, gave the Hurricanes the lead in the third inning. His home run barely cleared the left-field wall, and Abreu wasn’t sure the ball got out.

“I really had no idea,” he said. “I was running as fast as I could around the bases trying to get to home plate. I saw the guy on the floor, so I just kept going. I heard the noise and everyone scream … it was a good feeling.”

Miami held on to win 6-4.

The Canes clinched the series with a 5-2 victory on Saturday in front of more than 4,000 fans at Mark Light Field.

Kennedy connected on another home run as Miami freshman Cooper Hammond earned his first win on the mound in relief of Bryan Radziewski.

“Our hard work in the weight room with our new strength coach is really paying off for us,” Kennedy said after he went deep on consecutive nights. “We’re not trying to hit it out, we’re just putting good swings on it and the ball is carrying.

Radziewski, the Hurricanes’ junior ace, lasted 5.2 innings and gave up two earned runs.

“I thought it was a pretty good team effort. It was a big win,” Morris said. “We had a lot of guys do some good things. Our pitching was very good. Radziewski pitched good, but our whole bullpen did a good job.”

Tyler Palmer went 2-for-4 with an RBI, and Zack Collins cracked a three-run homer for his first collegiate hit.

On Sunday, the Gators avoided a sweep after they jumped on Miami starter Andrew Suarez with a four-run first inning. Florida scored twice more in the fourth, and the Canes could not recover.

Miami dropped the finale 6-4.

Next up for the Hurricanes is a weekend series in Tallahassee with another in-state rival, the FSU Seminoles.

Spencer Dandes

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...