Baseball, Sports

Miami turns tables on UF with big series win

Senior Tyler Palmer (9) and sophomore David Thompson (8) celebrate with senior Dale Carey (36) after his homerun during the last game of the series against University of Florida on Sunday. Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

The Florida Gators have had their way with the Hurricanes, of late.

Sixteen of the past 18 matchups had gone UF’s way, including 13 of the last 14 overall. Florida repeatedly crushed Miami’s postseason hopes over the last few years.

But the Canes, ranked No. 11 in the nation, reversed the trend with two big wins this weekend before they fell to the Gators again on Sunday.

In winning the series over No. 16 Florida, Miami improved to 4-3 this season.

On Friday and Saturday, Miami displayed considerable power at the plate. Dale Carey, Willie Abreu and Garrett Kennedy all homered during the series opener, their first long balls of the year.

Their offense helped the Canes overcome an early 3-0 deficit and earn a win for starter Chris Diaz.

The junior improved to 2-0 in his first two appearances, lasting seven innings on Friday. He settled down after surrendering three runs in the first frame.

“Chris pitched a very good game,” coach Jim Morris said. “He didn’t fold up and go home. He kept battling and pitched great after that.”

Abreu, a freshman, gave the Hurricanes the lead in the third inning. His home run barely cleared the left-field wall, and Abreu wasn’t sure the ball got out.

“I really had no idea,” he said. “I was running as fast as I could around the bases trying to get to home plate. I saw the guy on the floor, so I just kept going. I heard the noise and everyone scream … it was a good feeling.”

Miami held on to win 6-4.

The Canes clinched the series with a 5-2 victory on Saturday in front of more than 4,000 fans at Mark Light Field.

Kennedy connected on another home run as Miami freshman Cooper Hammond earned his first win on the mound in relief of Bryan Radziewski.

“Our hard work in the weight room with our new strength coach is really paying off for us,” Kennedy said after he went deep on consecutive nights. “We’re not trying to hit it out, we’re just putting good swings on it and the ball is carrying.

Radziewski, the Hurricanes’ junior ace, lasted 5.2 innings and gave up two earned runs.

“I thought it was a pretty good team effort. It was a big win,” Morris said. “We had a lot of guys do some good things. Our pitching was very good. Radziewski pitched good, but our whole bullpen did a good job.”

Tyler Palmer went 2-for-4 with an RBI, and Zack Collins cracked a three-run homer for his first collegiate hit.

On Sunday, the Gators avoided a sweep after they jumped on Miami starter Andrew Suarez with a four-run first inning. Florida scored twice more in the fourth, and the Canes could not recover.

Miami dropped the finale 6-4.

Next up for the Hurricanes is a weekend series in Tallahassee with another in-state rival, the FSU Seminoles.

Authors

Spencer Dandes

The Miami Hurricanes are 2-0 when these two things happen: Michael Mediavilla starts, and Michael Bu ...

If Miami Hurricanes fans were hoping to hear that one quarterback charged forward with such authorit ...

The Florida State Seminoles came through in the clutch. The Miami Hurricanes did not. That pretty mu ...

The Jerry’s Pizza of Mark Richt’s youth is gone, but Fran’s Chicken Haven — “If the Colonel had our ...

Hey, Hurricane basketball fans, do you ever sit around and wonder whatever happened to Guillermo Dia ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

Junior Kristiana Yao is the first named at UM in the last 33 years. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to play its final match of the regular season ...

Ebony Morrison & women's 4x100m won at Baylor, while Gabrielle Hesslau & Sean Grossman ...

Sunday's finale between the Miami Hurricanes and Florida State Seminoles (April 23) will be pla ...

The No. 39 Miami women's tennis team will play its final match of the regular season Sunday at ...

On a night when he connected for a grand slam against archrival Florida State in front of a sold-out ...