Baseball, Sports

Miami turns tables on UF with big series win

Senior Tyler Palmer (9) and sophomore David Thompson (8) celebrate with senior Dale Carey (36) after his homerun during the last game of the series against University of Florida on Sunday. Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

The Florida Gators have had their way with the Hurricanes, of late.

Sixteen of the past 18 matchups had gone UF’s way, including 13 of the last 14 overall. Florida repeatedly crushed Miami’s postseason hopes over the last few years.

But the Canes, ranked No. 11 in the nation, reversed the trend with two big wins this weekend before they fell to the Gators again on Sunday.

In winning the series over No. 16 Florida, Miami improved to 4-3 this season.

On Friday and Saturday, Miami displayed considerable power at the plate. Dale Carey, Willie Abreu and Garrett Kennedy all homered during the series opener, their first long balls of the year.

Their offense helped the Canes overcome an early 3-0 deficit and earn a win for starter Chris Diaz.

The junior improved to 2-0 in his first two appearances, lasting seven innings on Friday. He settled down after surrendering three runs in the first frame.

“Chris pitched a very good game,” coach Jim Morris said. “He didn’t fold up and go home. He kept battling and pitched great after that.”

Abreu, a freshman, gave the Hurricanes the lead in the third inning. His home run barely cleared the left-field wall, and Abreu wasn’t sure the ball got out.

“I really had no idea,” he said. “I was running as fast as I could around the bases trying to get to home plate. I saw the guy on the floor, so I just kept going. I heard the noise and everyone scream … it was a good feeling.”

Miami held on to win 6-4.

The Canes clinched the series with a 5-2 victory on Saturday in front of more than 4,000 fans at Mark Light Field.

Kennedy connected on another home run as Miami freshman Cooper Hammond earned his first win on the mound in relief of Bryan Radziewski.

“Our hard work in the weight room with our new strength coach is really paying off for us,” Kennedy said after he went deep on consecutive nights. “We’re not trying to hit it out, we’re just putting good swings on it and the ball is carrying.

Radziewski, the Hurricanes’ junior ace, lasted 5.2 innings and gave up two earned runs.

“I thought it was a pretty good team effort. It was a big win,” Morris said. “We had a lot of guys do some good things. Our pitching was very good. Radziewski pitched good, but our whole bullpen did a good job.”

Tyler Palmer went 2-for-4 with an RBI, and Zack Collins cracked a three-run homer for his first collegiate hit.

On Sunday, the Gators avoided a sweep after they jumped on Miami starter Andrew Suarez with a four-run first inning. Florida scored twice more in the fourth, and the Canes could not recover.

Miami dropped the finale 6-4.

Next up for the Hurricanes is a weekend series in Tallahassee with another in-state rival, the FSU Seminoles.

Spencer Dandes

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team will travel to Georgia Tech and Clemson this week for the fi ...