Faculty senate should include more student input

Now that we’ve faced the question of who should represent the students, we should consider what we expect of our Student Government (SG) representatives. Our elected student leaders should have much more input into the substantive conversations affecting quality of education, university development and finances.

Look at the major announcements of SG this semester to see where its priorities fall. There are amenities like the Safe Ride program or an outdoor fitness court, event programming like Canes Night Live and new plans for more communication between SG and the rest of campus.

These are fine enough, but when was the last time SG led the discussion on the basics of college: tuition, academic programs and research?

I don’t doubt the importance of SG working on its communication skills. I would just rather have a Student Government with something to say.

To be fair, this year’s competing tickets put forth interesting platform ideas. The tuition lock-in plan could definitely help prospective students and underclassmen prepare financially, and textbook tax cuts would help mitigate the huge problem of book costs.

But part of the problem is structural; there simply isn’t enough student representation, knowledge or passion within the legislative groups that actually control university finances and academic affairs.

The Faculty Senate approves most academic plans, and most campus development plans go through the Board of Trustees. The problem then, is a need for student representation and advocacy in these groups.

Take, for example, the Faculty Senate’s recent decision to phase out of the (admittedly terrible) General Honors Program. On Feb. 6, SG President Bhumi Patel published an open letter decrying the lack of student input and calling for more SG involvement in academic development planning. The problem? The decision was made in November, based partially on a student survey from December 2012, and dating back to a faculty report in 2011.

If our Student Government couldn’t make its voice heard on the issue for three years, one must consider that it wasn’t talking very loudly.

Beyond SG, there should be more democratic student seats in Faculty Senate and the Board of Trustees, as is true at other prestigious schools. Students currently hold five out of 53 seats on the Faculty Senate, with undergraduates comprising just two. At the University of Pennsylvania, in contrast, students hold 31 seats versus 58 faculty and administration members.

According to Pat Whitely, vice president for student affairs, the student member of the Board of Trustees is nominated by the administration and approved by the rest of the board. Given the importance of the trustees, the nomination process is similar across colleges. Cornell University, however, holds elections for the trustee, so why can’t we?

Imagine a campus where there is a direct line between the student body and the Board of Trustees. Senators could vote for the trustee, or it could become an official role of the elected SG vice president. In a larger perspective, imagine a school where students saw themselves making a difference in the long-term direction of their school.

That would mean more to me than all the colored T-shirts and palm cards in the world.

Patrick Quinlan is a sophomore majoring in international studies and political science.

Patrick Quinlan

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...