Edge, Theater

Best local spots to watch theatrical shows

Whether you’re tired of re-watching the same old shows on Netflix, searching for a classier spot for a date night or hunting for something new to do off campus, look no further than Miami’s bustling performing arts scene. With exciting shows happening all the time and the incredible bargain on student tickets, this town has something for everyone. Here are a few of  The Miami Hurricane’s favorite venues for live theater performances in the area:

Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts is Miami’s premiere destination for all things entertainment. The Arsht Center hosts the national tours of Broadway productions in its grandiose Ziff Ballet Opera House, as well as more intimate productions (occasionally in collaboration with UM) on its Carnival Studio Theater stage. No site has a more diverse array of offerings: festivals celebrating flamenco dance and Chinese culture, orchestral performances, opera, ballet and even celebrities such as Whoopi Goldberg and Jay Leno are on the schedule for the rest of this semester.

The Arsht Center is located at 1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami, Fla. The Arsht has its own Metro stop, which you can reach by either by taking the bus or the MetroMover from the Government Center station.

GableStage at the Biltmore is your best bet for quality drama in the area. The theater has made a name for itself presenting challenging works fresh from the Broadway stage. Come prepared to be moved and to leave seeing the world from a new perspective.

The GableStage is located at 1200 Anastasia Ave., Coral Gables, Fla. GableStage is located less than three miles from campus. 

Actors’ Playhouse at the Miracle Theatre is a great place to start for the casual theatergoer. The venue presents excellent productions of commercial hits on its mainstage (next up: Monty Python’s farcical musical “Spamalot”), including shows never before staged in South Florida. They also stage non-musicals in a smaller upstairs space, and even have a thriving season of children’s theater.

Actors’ Playhouse is located at 280 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables, Fla. 

Miami Theater Center is a destination for theater that is more off-the-beaten track. While they do occasionally produce full-scale plays, this venue is better known for the SandBox Series, where artists-in-residence create boundary-pushing works in their black box space. These performances are often immersive, allowing the audience to walk through and even interact with the non-traditional sets, and frequently culminate in a talk-back with the creator. A night at MTC will never fail to be interesting. The theater also offers workshop intensives and screens with more than 300 independent films a year in conjunction with O Cinema.

Miami Theater Center is located at 9806 NE Second Ave., Miami Shores, Fla. Free parking is provided. 

And don’t forget UM’s very own Jerry Herman Ring Theatre. Come and see some of your classmates demonstrate their talents on the stage. Shows are free for students with their Cane Card on the Tuesday night performances of each run. The last production of the semester is the classic play “Our Town,” opening April 16.

The Ring Theatre is located at 1312 Miller Drive, Coral Gables, Fla. The Ring is located between the Frost School and the Rathskeller, adjacent to the Law School and the Gusman Concert Hall.

About Author

Madelyn Paquette

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

View photos of the first day of Miami Hurricanes spring football practice on Tues., March 22, 2017 … ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

At the Net with Jesse Flores ...

At the Net with... ...

Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team has been selected to participate in an upcoming U.S. U-23 W ...

Freshman Greg Veliz put together another strong midweek outing as the Hurricanes beat FAU 7-5. ...

Junior Piotr Lomacki represents the Canes in the ITA singles rankings, released Tuesday, at No. 73. ...