Edge, Theater

Best local spots to watch theatrical shows

Whether you’re tired of re-watching the same old shows on Netflix, searching for a classier spot for a date night or hunting for something new to do off campus, look no further than Miami’s bustling performing arts scene. With exciting shows happening all the time and the incredible bargain on student tickets, this town has something for everyone. Here are a few of  The Miami Hurricane’s favorite venues for live theater performances in the area:

Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts is Miami’s premiere destination for all things entertainment. The Arsht Center hosts the national tours of Broadway productions in its grandiose Ziff Ballet Opera House, as well as more intimate productions (occasionally in collaboration with UM) on its Carnival Studio Theater stage. No site has a more diverse array of offerings: festivals celebrating flamenco dance and Chinese culture, orchestral performances, opera, ballet and even celebrities such as Whoopi Goldberg and Jay Leno are on the schedule for the rest of this semester.

The Arsht Center is located at 1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami, Fla. The Arsht has its own Metro stop, which you can reach by either by taking the bus or the MetroMover from the Government Center station.

GableStage at the Biltmore is your best bet for quality drama in the area. The theater has made a name for itself presenting challenging works fresh from the Broadway stage. Come prepared to be moved and to leave seeing the world from a new perspective.

The GableStage is located at 1200 Anastasia Ave., Coral Gables, Fla. GableStage is located less than three miles from campus. 

Actors’ Playhouse at the Miracle Theatre is a great place to start for the casual theatergoer. The venue presents excellent productions of commercial hits on its mainstage (next up: Monty Python’s farcical musical “Spamalot”), including shows never before staged in South Florida. They also stage non-musicals in a smaller upstairs space, and even have a thriving season of children’s theater.

Actors’ Playhouse is located at 280 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables, Fla. 

Miami Theater Center is a destination for theater that is more off-the-beaten track. While they do occasionally produce full-scale plays, this venue is better known for the SandBox Series, where artists-in-residence create boundary-pushing works in their black box space. These performances are often immersive, allowing the audience to walk through and even interact with the non-traditional sets, and frequently culminate in a talk-back with the creator. A night at MTC will never fail to be interesting. The theater also offers workshop intensives and screens with more than 300 independent films a year in conjunction with O Cinema.

Miami Theater Center is located at 9806 NE Second Ave., Miami Shores, Fla. Free parking is provided. 

And don’t forget UM’s very own Jerry Herman Ring Theatre. Come and see some of your classmates demonstrate their talents on the stage. Shows are free for students with their Cane Card on the Tuesday night performances of each run. The last production of the semester is the classic play “Our Town,” opening April 16.

The Ring Theatre is located at 1312 Miller Drive, Coral Gables, Fla. The Ring is located between the Frost School and the Rathskeller, adjacent to the Law School and the Gusman Concert Hall.

Authors

Madelyn Paquette

The Miami Hurricanes are 2-0 when these two things happen: Michael Mediavilla starts, and Michael Bu ...

If Miami Hurricanes fans were hoping to hear that one quarterback charged forward with such authorit ...

The Florida State Seminoles came through in the clutch. The Miami Hurricanes did not. That pretty mu ...

The Jerry’s Pizza of Mark Richt’s youth is gone, but Fran’s Chicken Haven — “If the Colonel had our ...

Hey, Hurricane basketball fans, do you ever sit around and wonder whatever happened to Guillermo Dia ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

Junior Kristiana Yao is the first named at UM in the last 33 years. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to play its final match of the regular season ...

Ebony Morrison & women's 4x100m won at Baylor, while Gabrielle Hesslau & Sean Grossman ...

Sunday's finale between the Miami Hurricanes and Florida State Seminoles (April 23) will be pla ...

The No. 39 Miami women's tennis team will play its final match of the regular season Sunday at ...

On a night when he connected for a grand slam against archrival Florida State in front of a sold-out ...