Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

“The Boys are Back” advocates optimism despite sadness

“The Boys are Back” – Australia, UK – Netflix instant watch

Adapted from the witty memoir by a British sports journalist about raising his sons after his wife dies, “The Boys are Back” advocates dealing with difficulties regarding the enthusiasm of a “yes.”

Instead of stiffly copying the memoir into a movie, the film simply recreates its essence. It captures the same tone by weaving in the anecdotes and the details instead of forcing them in chronologically.

The result is a refreshing and utterly human recount of the struggle between “yes” and “no,”and the coexistence of mourning and living. The father of the children, played by Clive Owen, quickly steers away from the ideal father figure, with his mood swings and strange rules, resulting in a more interesting and relatable character.

Paralleling the film’s discussion on the stages of life, the film is true to life in that it does not have a clearly defined beginning, middle and end.

Instead, it is a string of moments, all linked together. Finally, they discreetly reach a climax when least expected.

Unpredictable, the plot navigates discreetly under the surface, with non-verbal insinuations until it erupts with heart-punching confessions.

Approaching thought-meriting questions about dads, divorce and death with realistic relevance, “The Boys are Back” injects the sad story with the satisfying joie-de-vivre we should all strive to have.

Luisa Andonie

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...