Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

“The Boys are Back” advocates optimism despite sadness

“The Boys are Back” – Australia, UK – Netflix instant watch

Adapted from the witty memoir by a British sports journalist about raising his sons after his wife dies, “The Boys are Back” advocates dealing with difficulties regarding the enthusiasm of a “yes.”

Instead of stiffly copying the memoir into a movie, the film simply recreates its essence. It captures the same tone by weaving in the anecdotes and the details instead of forcing them in chronologically.

The result is a refreshing and utterly human recount of the struggle between “yes” and “no,”and the coexistence of mourning and living. The father of the children, played by Clive Owen, quickly steers away from the ideal father figure, with his mood swings and strange rules, resulting in a more interesting and relatable character.

Paralleling the film’s discussion on the stages of life, the film is true to life in that it does not have a clearly defined beginning, middle and end.

Instead, it is a string of moments, all linked together. Finally, they discreetly reach a climax when least expected.

Unpredictable, the plot navigates discreetly under the surface, with non-verbal insinuations until it erupts with heart-punching confessions.

Approaching thought-meriting questions about dads, divorce and death with realistic relevance, “The Boys are Back” injects the sad story with the satisfying joie-de-vivre we should all strive to have.

About Author

Luisa Andonie

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

View photos of the first day of Miami Hurricanes spring football practice on Tues., March 22, 2017 … ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

At the Net with Jesse Flores ...

At the Net with... ...

Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team has been selected to participate in an upcoming U.S. U-23 W ...