Basketball, Sports

Canes beat Notre Dame for first home ACC win of season

Senior Erik Swoope prepares to shoot a free throw during the men's basketball game against Notre Dame on Wednesday night. Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

Senior Erik Swoope prepares to shoot a free throw during the men’s basketball game against Notre Dame on Wednesday night. Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

Rion Brown scored 21 points, added 11 rebounds and five assists to lead Miami over Notre Dame on Wednesday night.

The senior guided the Canes to their first home conference victory of the season. Miami (13-13, 4-9 ACC) was 0-6 at the BankUnited Center against ACC opponents prior to the 71-64 win.

Midway through the first half, the Hurricanes engineered a 13-0 run, after which Miami never trailed. The loss dropped Notre Dame – playing its first season in the ACC – to 14-13 (5-9 ACC).

Garrius Adams scored 14 points for Miami, and Davon Reed added 12.

The Fighting Irish are 10th in the conference standings, with the Canes right behind them in 11th place.

Miami returns to the BankUnited center to face Boston College at noon on Saturday.

About Author

Spencer Dandes

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

View photos of the first day of Miami Hurricanes spring football practice on Tues., March 22, 2017 … ...

News and views from the first day of UM football spring practice: • Found it interesting that when M ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

At the Net with Jesse Flores ...

At the Net with... ...

Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team has been selected to participate in an upcoming U.S. U-23 W ...

Freshman Greg Veliz put together another strong midweek outing as the Hurricanes beat FAU 7-5. ...

Junior Piotr Lomacki represents the Canes in the ITA singles rankings, released Tuesday, at No. 73. ...