Basketball, Sports

Canes beat Notre Dame for first home ACC win of season

Senior Erik Swoope prepares to shoot a free throw during the men's basketball game against Notre Dame on Wednesday night. Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

Senior Erik Swoope prepares to shoot a free throw during the men’s basketball game against Notre Dame on Wednesday night. Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

Rion Brown scored 21 points, added 11 rebounds and five assists to lead Miami over Notre Dame on Wednesday night.

The senior guided the Canes to their first home conference victory of the season. Miami (13-13, 4-9 ACC) was 0-6 at the BankUnited Center against ACC opponents prior to the 71-64 win.

Midway through the first half, the Hurricanes engineered a 13-0 run, after which Miami never trailed. The loss dropped Notre Dame – playing its first season in the ACC – to 14-13 (5-9 ACC).

Garrius Adams scored 14 points for Miami, and Davon Reed added 12.

The Fighting Irish are 10th in the conference standings, with the Canes right behind them in 11th place.

Miami returns to the BankUnited center to face Boston College at noon on Saturday.

Authors

Spencer Dandes

The Miami Hurricanes are 2-0 when these two things happen: Michael Mediavilla starts, and Michael Bu ...

If Miami Hurricanes fans were hoping to hear that one quarterback charged forward with such authorit ...

The Florida State Seminoles came through in the clutch. The Miami Hurricanes did not. That pretty mu ...

The Jerry’s Pizza of Mark Richt’s youth is gone, but Fran’s Chicken Haven — “If the Colonel had our ...

Hey, Hurricane basketball fans, do you ever sit around and wonder whatever happened to Guillermo Dia ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

Junior Kristiana Yao is the first named at UM in the last 33 years. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to play its final match of the regular season ...

Ebony Morrison & women's 4x100m won at Baylor, while Gabrielle Hesslau & Sean Grossman ...

Sunday's finale between the Miami Hurricanes and Florida State Seminoles (April 23) will be pla ...

The No. 39 Miami women's tennis team will play its final match of the regular season Sunday at ...

On a night when he connected for a grand slam against archrival Florida State in front of a sold-out ...