Profiles, Sports

Sassy Sweat a hit with girls seeking fun exercise

In a private room of the Herbert Wellness Center, women arrive in high-heeled wedges, trendy sweats with zippers and colorful, off-the-shoulder crop tops.

But they’re not there to make a fashion statement – they’re there to sweat.

Sassy Sweat is a free, new group exercise program at the wellness center for women only that drew 25 to 30 people at its recent inaugural class.

Its popularity may have something to do with the fact that Sassy Sweat is different from a typical fitness class.

“I was really excited that the wellness center was putting out a program that would be good for people who don’t necessarily like conventional ways of exercising,” freshman Allie Pakrosnis said.

The class is focused on burlesque and hip hop-inspired dance moves and the music played are today’s hits.

Also, it is strongly encouraged that girls show up in their most fashionable workout attire to make the class as fun and sexy as possible.

“The idea behind it was that there are a lot of programs out there right now for females that are really fun and a way to express the fun, flirty side of fitness,” said Nikki Reifschneider, creator of the program and a wellness center assistant director.

She says this type of dance is, “especially in Miami, really hot. So we wanted to provide something for our members.”

In the class, the instructor starts off teaching the girls different sexy moves. Later, the instructor shouts out the names of the moves to create a complete dance sequence that the class can follow along to.

It was important to program creators that there is no equipment involved and that it has an open and welcoming atmosphere.

“Sassy Sweat was different than a normal workout and was a unique way to break my routine,” freshman Ana Rodriguez said.

The class takes place in a private room so the women participating feel comfortable and safe to let loose and have a great time.

Sassy Sweat is designed for girls of all levels of fitness experience, who aren’t necessarily into fancy exercise machines or who may be a little scared of the gym.

The next class will be by announcement only and the class is open to all UM students and wellness center members.

“We want it to be as fun as possible and just a good time for everyone,” Reifschneider said.

If you go:

What: Sassy Sweat class

Where: Wellness Center

When: The next class has not yet been scheduled. The Sassy Sweat instructor will make the time available soon.

Who: Female students and wellness center members of all ages and fitness levels.

Rachel Cox-Rosen

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis match against Duke. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team came up short against No. 34 Duke University, 4-1, Th ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis win over Boston College. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team were both among the ni ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team is set to open ACC Championship play Friday afterno ...