Facebook prevents authentic interaction

It is never too late for a new resolution. Like breaking any other habit, it may be difficult at first, but over time it is mind-liberating, time-granting and privacy-restoring.

Facebook emphasizes the consumerism in all of us, except, instead of promoting consumption for enrichment, it leads to the consumption of ourselves. We erode our own privacy, our own individuality, our own time.

After breaking up with Facebook three years ago, I don’t even miss it. My favorite part about meeting someone is seeing the eyes that pop and hearing the voices that ascend an octave: “You don’t have Facebook? What century do you live in?” But then the authenticity that ensues when we gradually grow a friendship is one built on moments and interactions that we can look back on and reference.

Facebook promises to serve as a facilitator, but instead threatens to become an obstacle. When you speak to an acquaintance, should you pretend not to know that “The Big Bang Theory” is her favorite movie TV show? Should you bother asking what sports he plays when you already know? Will you lose any interest in getting to know her because One Direction is her favorite band?

Questions and misunderstandings always arise when transposing online to reality and reality to online. But what if there was a way to avoid getting lost in this digital translation? Oh, but there is: a little button under settings called “deactivate your account.”

Don’t worry about losing connectivity with your friends. When you don’t have Facebook, the ambiguous acquaintance lines are erased, and you are left with the people who really care about you and want to get to know you. When it takes more effort to write an email, send a text or remember a birthday, the interchanges are boiled down to the worthwhile ones.

Luisa Andonie is a sophomore majoring in marketing.

Luisa Andonie

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...