Facebook prevents authentic interaction

It is never too late for a new resolution. Like breaking any other habit, it may be difficult at first, but over time it is mind-liberating, time-granting and privacy-restoring.

Facebook emphasizes the consumerism in all of us, except, instead of promoting consumption for enrichment, it leads to the consumption of ourselves. We erode our own privacy, our own individuality, our own time.

After breaking up with Facebook three years ago, I don’t even miss it. My favorite part about meeting someone is seeing the eyes that pop and hearing the voices that ascend an octave: “You don’t have Facebook? What century do you live in?” But then the authenticity that ensues when we gradually grow a friendship is one built on moments and interactions that we can look back on and reference.

Facebook promises to serve as a facilitator, but instead threatens to become an obstacle. When you speak to an acquaintance, should you pretend not to know that “The Big Bang Theory” is her favorite movie TV show? Should you bother asking what sports he plays when you already know? Will you lose any interest in getting to know her because One Direction is her favorite band?

Questions and misunderstandings always arise when transposing online to reality and reality to online. But what if there was a way to avoid getting lost in this digital translation? Oh, but there is: a little button under settings called “deactivate your account.”

Don’t worry about losing connectivity with your friends. When you don’t have Facebook, the ambiguous acquaintance lines are erased, and you are left with the people who really care about you and want to get to know you. When it takes more effort to write an email, send a text or remember a birthday, the interchanges are boiled down to the worthwhile ones.

Luisa Andonie is a sophomore majoring in marketing.

Luisa Andonie

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Check out some of the best photos from the Miami women's tennis team's 4-0 victory against ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis match against Duke. ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team will make its ninth appearance in the ACC Champions ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team defeated No. 12-seed Boston College, 4-0, Friday af ...

The University of Miami track and field team closed out the 2017 outdoor track and field regular sea ...