Facebook prevents authentic interaction

It is never too late for a new resolution. Like breaking any other habit, it may be difficult at first, but over time it is mind-liberating, time-granting and privacy-restoring.

Facebook emphasizes the consumerism in all of us, except, instead of promoting consumption for enrichment, it leads to the consumption of ourselves. We erode our own privacy, our own individuality, our own time.

After breaking up with Facebook three years ago, I don’t even miss it. My favorite part about meeting someone is seeing the eyes that pop and hearing the voices that ascend an octave: “You don’t have Facebook? What century do you live in?” But then the authenticity that ensues when we gradually grow a friendship is one built on moments and interactions that we can look back on and reference.

Facebook promises to serve as a facilitator, but instead threatens to become an obstacle. When you speak to an acquaintance, should you pretend not to know that “The Big Bang Theory” is her favorite movie TV show? Should you bother asking what sports he plays when you already know? Will you lose any interest in getting to know her because One Direction is her favorite band?

Questions and misunderstandings always arise when transposing online to reality and reality to online. But what if there was a way to avoid getting lost in this digital translation? Oh, but there is: a little button under settings called “deactivate your account.”

Don’t worry about losing connectivity with your friends. When you don’t have Facebook, the ambiguous acquaintance lines are erased, and you are left with the people who really care about you and want to get to know you. When it takes more effort to write an email, send a text or remember a birthday, the interchanges are boiled down to the worthwhile ones.

Luisa Andonie is a sophomore majoring in marketing.

About Author

Luisa Andonie

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...

Football players Braxton Berrios and Demetrius Jackson, soccer player Phallon Tullis-Joyce, cross co ...