Sports Briefs 2/17

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Miami traveled to Blacksburg, Va., with a chance to avenge an earlier loss to the Virginia Tech Hokies. Instead, the Canes struggled mightily on offense and fell 52-45 on Saturday.

Virginia Tech had lost 10 straight games prior to the win. Miami dropped to 12-13 overall, and 3-9 in ACC play.

The Canes shot 5-for-27 in the field during a brutal first half, and followed that up by missing 10 of their first 11 shots after halftime.

Miami next faces Notre Dame at home. Tipoff is at 9 p.m. Wednesday.

TRACK

Artie Burns led the way during a strong showing for Miami’s track and field program at the Don Kirby Elite Invitational in New Mexico this past weekend. Burns ran the 60m hurdle in 7.68 seconds, which ranks fourth nationally this year.

“Artie is just touching the surface of what he is capable of in the hurdles,” director Amy Deem said. “He is getting better each practice and it is showing in the meets.”

Shakima Wembley won the women’s 400m dash and set a new personal best (53.68 seconds).

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

The Hurricanes notched a big conference road win on Sunday, holding on to beat Florida State 76-73.

Miami had four players score in double figures, led by Keyona Hayes’ 21 points. Syracuse visits the BankUnited Center on Thursday for a 7 p.m. ACC matchup.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...