Campus Life, News, Student Organization

Partnership aims to aid health problems in developing countries

InnovAid, a new student group based out of the Miller School of Medicine, is teaming up with other University of Miami organizations to tackle critical healthcare-related problems in the developing countries through innovation and technology.

“We want to combine the various entities at the university, [such as]CaneShare, the International Medicine Institute, Engineers Without Borders and the College of Engineering, to not only identify the issues facing clinical staffs in [those]countries, but also to develop unique, innovative prototypes and solutions,” said Sharon Wolfson, a second-year med student and co-founder of InnovAid.

Wolfson and co-founder Carlos Oliu, also a second-year medical student, realized this is not a task that they could do alone. So while they focus on the medical side, they are reaching out for help with ways to deliver medical supplies, medicines and immunizations to residents around the world.

“We can identify the clinical situations faced in low-income and low-infrastructure environments, but we need to work with engineering students to develop practical, workable solutions to [meeting]these challenges,” Oliu said.

They already have a basic concept of how they would like to run InnovAid. They will start by informing interested audiences of the medical needs and partnering with prospective companies and groups to fund their research.

In only its second semester of activity, InnovAid is planning three events this spring. They will start with holding informative lectures from medical professionals talking about those type of needs in third-world countries.

They also plan to host a hands-on  workshop to simulate the types of devices that would be used, and then discuss with engineers and others how to get the equipment there.

“We are thrilled to be working with such an amazing cause,” said Joshua Furtney, president of the Biomedical Engineering Society.

Finally, they want to visit local medical industry facilities to see what technology is already being used.

Oliu stressed that while their role as medical students is to identify the issues, they want to involve anyone interested in helping people who don’t have the same access to quality medical care as those in the United States.

“We’re really trying to bring everyone into the fold because part of our goal here is to educate people on how to participate in this kind of a movement,” Oliu said. “It doesn’t have to be engineers coming up with ideas and doctors coming up with problems. The goal is creativity and bringing people together to approach problems that we can all break down and understand.”

Brandon Michaels

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...