Campus Life, News, Student Organization

Partnership aims to aid health problems in developing countries

InnovAid, a new student group based out of the Miller School of Medicine, is teaming up with other University of Miami organizations to tackle critical healthcare-related problems in the developing countries through innovation and technology.

“We want to combine the various entities at the university, [such as]CaneShare, the International Medicine Institute, Engineers Without Borders and the College of Engineering, to not only identify the issues facing clinical staffs in [those]countries, but also to develop unique, innovative prototypes and solutions,” said Sharon Wolfson, a second-year med student and co-founder of InnovAid.

Wolfson and co-founder Carlos Oliu, also a second-year medical student, realized this is not a task that they could do alone. So while they focus on the medical side, they are reaching out for help with ways to deliver medical supplies, medicines and immunizations to residents around the world.

“We can identify the clinical situations faced in low-income and low-infrastructure environments, but we need to work with engineering students to develop practical, workable solutions to [meeting]these challenges,” Oliu said.

They already have a basic concept of how they would like to run InnovAid. They will start by informing interested audiences of the medical needs and partnering with prospective companies and groups to fund their research.

In only its second semester of activity, InnovAid is planning three events this spring. They will start with holding informative lectures from medical professionals talking about those type of needs in third-world countries.

They also plan to host a hands-on  workshop to simulate the types of devices that would be used, and then discuss with engineers and others how to get the equipment there.

“We are thrilled to be working with such an amazing cause,” said Joshua Furtney, president of the Biomedical Engineering Society.

Finally, they want to visit local medical industry facilities to see what technology is already being used.

Oliu stressed that while their role as medical students is to identify the issues, they want to involve anyone interested in helping people who don’t have the same access to quality medical care as those in the United States.

“We’re really trying to bring everyone into the fold because part of our goal here is to educate people on how to participate in this kind of a movement,” Oliu said. “It doesn’t have to be engineers coming up with ideas and doctors coming up with problems. The goal is creativity and bringing people together to approach problems that we can all break down and understand.”

Brandon Michaels

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...