CVS tobacco decision sets bold example

CVS Caremark made a groundbreaking announcement on Feb. 5 when it decided to become the first national pharmacy to stop selling tobacco products.

I wouldn’t doubt that as a huge chain with three locations within a mile of campus, CVS is a frequent stop for student smokers looking to purchase their tobacco products. But now if people can’t buy their cigarettes at CVS, they will just purchase them elsewhere.

The CVS decision alone will have little effect on changing habits, but my hope is that this is the beginning of a movement for other pharmacies around the country, as well as on our own campus.

Similar to the campus’s new smoke-free policy instituted in the fall – which has triggered heated debate, blatant ignoring of the policy and even protests ­– the decision of CVS will not change people’s habits.

I, and many others, unapologetically despise smoking and the tobacco industry in general. I am glad CVS is taking the initiative to preserve the health of its customers and to stop supporting an industry that has targeted teenagers and college students for years.

The dangers of tobacco products, including preventable lung cancer and its addictive qualities, as well as the effects of second-hand smoke, have been public knowledge for years. And while for a period of time individuals had resigned to accepting that people will smoke despite all of these issues, evidently there has been a recent resurgence of fervor in the anti-smoking movement.

I admire the company for positioning itself as consistently dedicated to health and for being willing to suffer losses for the sake of sending a message about the dangers of the tobacco industry.

If more chains follow suit, people will start to take notice. And one person who has taken notice is President Barack Obama, who praised the pharmacy chain.

CVS also plans to launch a national anti-smoking campaign, mirroring our campus’s Be Smoke Free program and the Quit Smoking Now classes. Ultimately, CVS Caremark’s dedication to customer health and ethical positioning of its company are admirable – especially for such a widely known drugstore.

Alyssa Jacobson is majoring in advertising and political science.

Alyssa Jacobson

The first University of Miami player to wear the coveted turnover chain will no longer play football ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...