Edge, Food

Ways to get a taste of the SoBe Wine and Food Festival

Gastronomes and wine snobs in South Florida are eager to experience the fast-approaching South Beach Wine and Food Festival, which is taking place Feb. 20 to Feb. 23 all across Miami Beach. But for the foodie procrastinators, which almost all college students are, it’s crunch time for purchasing a ticket.

The Miami Hurricane has your guide to the five best events that are still on sale. Events are 21 and over. And with all of these options at $125 or below, these are budget-friendly events that you don’t have to splurge on.

1. A Splendid Ice Cream and Dessert Party hosted by Jeni Britton Bauer and Friends

Let’s face it – it’s hard to mess up dessert. And when the desserts have been vetted by one of the most famous food festivals in the country, this is the festival’s first-ever all-desserts event and is definitely not one to miss. Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams is coming from Ohio to present their delicious treats. Johnny Iuzzini, Cindy Kruse, Lee & Marie’s Bakery, Paul Joachim and Hollis Wilder will also be presenting their desserts. Unlimited wine and spirits will be served by  Southern Wine & Spirits of Florida.

Gale South Beach Rooftop

1690 Collins Ave. 

10 p.m., Feb. 21, $95

2. Fried & True: A Fried Chicken Seminar

Fried chicken is like dessert for people without a sweet tooth. Dig into some of the best fried chicken at Fried & True, a Bank of America lifestyle seminar hosted by Lee Schrager, the organizer of the festival himself, as well as food writer Adina Sussman. Best of all, the chicken will be paired with wine.

Ritz-Carlton South Beach

1 Lincoln Road   

11 a.m. to noon, Feb. 23, $85

3. YogArt presents Buddhas and Bellinis

The festival is pairing up with yoga teacher Dawn B and DJ Drez for a morning break from the weekend festivities. The yoga session will take place at The Raleigh Hotel’s Oasis. The class will also feature  MC Yogi. After the rejuivinating session, wine and healthy snacks will be served.

The Raleigh Hotel

1775 Collins Ave.

10:30 a.m. to noon, Feb. 21, $30

4. Afternoon Fix at Whole Foods Market Grand Tasting Village

The afternoon fix ticket grants you admission to the Whole Foods Market Grand Tasting Village, a crowd favorite, from 3 p.m. until close, still giving you enough time to enjoy book signings, and of course, the culinary demonstrations. That list includes  James Beard Award-winning chef Michael Symon of The Chew, Chopped judge Aaron Sanchez, and the Deen family. It’s the best way to ensure a crowd favorite event at a bargain price.

Whole Foods Market 

13th Street and Ocean Drive

3 to 6 p.m., Feb. 23, $125

5. People’s Choice Food Awards

The Best of the Munchies People’s Choice Food Awards hosted by Andrew Zimmern invites guests to sample bites by the beach. Awards are given for categories such as best burgers, tacos and pizza and notable food media and personalities as well as restaurants are recognized. Tickets are on sale exclusively on Groupon, and they’re currently half-off at $85.

Esurance North Venue Beachside at the Ritz-Carlton

1 Lincoln Road

6 to 9 p.m., Feb. 23, $85

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

View photos from the Toledo Rockets at Miami Hurricanes game Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017, at Hard Rock ...

What seemed like calamity at the half turned out OK. The defense stepped up, Malik Rosier stepped up ...

A dozen thoughts and notes from UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium, a ga ...

1. DOLPHINS: Fins visit Stinkin' Jets: Biggest challenge facing Dolphins as Sunday's Jets ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 7-3 record, highlighted by Ana Madcur's win over ni ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opened the fall portion of its 2017-18 schedule Satur ...

Sinead Lohan of the Miami women's tennis team beat two top-65 players to reach the Milwaukee Te ...

Nathan Kuck and Maryam Jawid led the University of Miami cross country program with top 10 finishes ...