Edge, Food

Ways to get a taste of the SoBe Wine and Food Festival

Gastronomes and wine snobs in South Florida are eager to experience the fast-approaching South Beach Wine and Food Festival, which is taking place Feb. 20 to Feb. 23 all across Miami Beach. But for the foodie procrastinators, which almost all college students are, it’s crunch time for purchasing a ticket.

The Miami Hurricane has your guide to the five best events that are still on sale. Events are 21 and over. And with all of these options at $125 or below, these are budget-friendly events that you don’t have to splurge on.

1. A Splendid Ice Cream and Dessert Party hosted by Jeni Britton Bauer and Friends

Let’s face it – it’s hard to mess up dessert. And when the desserts have been vetted by one of the most famous food festivals in the country, this is the festival’s first-ever all-desserts event and is definitely not one to miss. Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams is coming from Ohio to present their delicious treats. Johnny Iuzzini, Cindy Kruse, Lee & Marie’s Bakery, Paul Joachim and Hollis Wilder will also be presenting their desserts. Unlimited wine and spirits will be served by  Southern Wine & Spirits of Florida.

Gale South Beach Rooftop

1690 Collins Ave. 

10 p.m., Feb. 21, $95

2. Fried & True: A Fried Chicken Seminar

Fried chicken is like dessert for people without a sweet tooth. Dig into some of the best fried chicken at Fried & True, a Bank of America lifestyle seminar hosted by Lee Schrager, the organizer of the festival himself, as well as food writer Adina Sussman. Best of all, the chicken will be paired with wine.

Ritz-Carlton South Beach

1 Lincoln Road   

11 a.m. to noon, Feb. 23, $85

3. YogArt presents Buddhas and Bellinis

The festival is pairing up with yoga teacher Dawn B and DJ Drez for a morning break from the weekend festivities. The yoga session will take place at The Raleigh Hotel’s Oasis. The class will also feature  MC Yogi. After the rejuivinating session, wine and healthy snacks will be served.

The Raleigh Hotel

1775 Collins Ave.

10:30 a.m. to noon, Feb. 21, $30

4. Afternoon Fix at Whole Foods Market Grand Tasting Village

The afternoon fix ticket grants you admission to the Whole Foods Market Grand Tasting Village, a crowd favorite, from 3 p.m. until close, still giving you enough time to enjoy book signings, and of course, the culinary demonstrations. That list includes  James Beard Award-winning chef Michael Symon of The Chew, Chopped judge Aaron Sanchez, and the Deen family. It’s the best way to ensure a crowd favorite event at a bargain price.

Whole Foods Market 

13th Street and Ocean Drive

3 to 6 p.m., Feb. 23, $125

5. People’s Choice Food Awards

The Best of the Munchies People’s Choice Food Awards hosted by Andrew Zimmern invites guests to sample bites by the beach. Awards are given for categories such as best burgers, tacos and pizza and notable food media and personalities as well as restaurants are recognized. Tickets are on sale exclusively on Groupon, and they’re currently half-off at $85.

Esurance North Venue Beachside at the Ritz-Carlton

1 Lincoln Road

6 to 9 p.m., Feb. 23, $85

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...