Ways single life grants a fun time

You may have noticed the copious amounts of red-packaged candy on sale at Publix, or seen an ad for the annual fraternity singing valentines, or fought your way through swarms of heart-shaped balloons in CVS, and realized that can only mean one thing. Valentine’s Day is coming. You might be excited, because it’s a chance to spend time with your significant other or connect with a crush.

Or you might be single and dreading the holiday altogether.

It’s easy to feel left out on Valentine’s Day if you’re single, but couples aren’t the only ones who can have fun on the fourteenth. Check out The Miami Hurricane’s list of great activities for singles to try out this V-Day

Enjoy the sales

Since many stores have Valentine’s Day sales, take the day to do some shopping. Money can’t buy love, but shopping can make you feel pretty awesome in the meantime. When you’re done at the mall, satisfy your sweet tooth with the sales on candy and sweets. If couples are buying each other chocolate-covered strawberries, who’s to say you can’t do the same?

Try out some fun “date” activities

Just because you’re flying solo doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a day out. Take advantage of Miami’s location and gorgeous weather and hit the beach. Or go to an art museum, like the Perez, which just opened up downtown. This can actually be more fun solo or with artsy friends, because you can spend time on what you’re interested in without trying to impress someone. For a fresh nature feel, check out a local zoo or aquarium – because animals need love, too.

Keep things festive and sweet

To really make the day seem like a holiday, hit the kitchen and whip up some sweet treats. Baking is a fantastic way to break out of a usual routine and get your creativity flowing. Of course, eating your masterpiece will only contribute to the feeling of celebration.

Plan an event with friends

Nobody said that singles have to be lonely. Round up some buddies and go out to dinner, head to the bowling alley, or stay in and watch movies. You can even throw an anti-Valentine’s Day party. Without hating on the couples enjoying the holiday, celebrate your independence with other singles and dance the night away. Spending time with friends is a great way to unwind and celebrate without feeling any romantic pressure.

Focus on yourself

Release some good-feeling endorphins by getting some exercise. Attend a fitness class, go for a run, do yoga, lift,  or do whatever fits your fancy. Or have a spa day and pamper yourself. Get mani-pedis, give yourself a facial, break out the cucumber slices or do whatever else makes you feel refreshed. Worry about only what makes you feel good.

Family first

Remember the ones who love you more than anyone, and take the time to Skype or call your family. With everyone’s busy schedules, who knows when you’ll have the chance to do so again?

Amanda Wood

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team came up short against No. 34 Duke University, 4-1, Th ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis win over Boston College. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team were both among the ni ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team is set to open ACC Championship play Friday afterno ...

Miami Hurricanes tight end David Njoku was selected with the 29th overall pick by the Cleveland Brow ...