Sports briefs 2/13

Women’s golf

The Miami women’s golf team had a successful showing at the UCF Challenge, placing third behind two top-25 teams.

The Canes, currently ranked No. 33 in the nation, wrapped up play on Tuesday with their fourth top-three finish of the season.

“The pin placement was tougher, the winds picked up, but we held our ground,” coach Patti Rizzo said. “We didn’t play great, but we didn’t play terrible either. Third place is not bad out of 19 teams.”

Two of Miami’s golfers shot under par for the tournament – Leticia Ras-Anderica and Daniela Darquea each posted 2-under (214) combined scores. Overall, the Hurricanes shot even par (864), which trailed only No. 24 UCF (7-under 857) and No. 22 Iowa State (6-under 858) in the team standings.

Miami will host its annual invitational March 3-5 at the Biltmore Golf Course in Coral Gables.

Hall of fame

The College Baseball Foundation announced Tuesday that two former Hurricanes were selected as part of the 2014 Hall of Fame class.

Pitcher Alex Fernandez and slugger Mike Fiore will join five other inductees to the National College Baseball Hall of Fame in June. Fernandez was a first-team All-American as a freshman in 1989, a stellar season that included a no hitter. He played professionally for the Chicago Cubs and the Florida Marlins.

Fiore was an integral part of the Canes’ run to the 1985 College World Series title. He was a starter for four years at Miami and went on to play for team USA, where he won a gold medal at the 1988 Seoul Olympics.

“I think it’s a great thing not only for Mike and Alex, but for our program as well,” Hurricanes coach Jim Morris said. “It shows a respect for what Miami has accomplished for many, many years, and I’m very happy for both guys.”

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com 

Spencer Dandes

View photos of teenage recruits being taught by UM legends at Paradise Camp Saturday, July 22, 2017. ...

Mark Richt’s weekend began with a bunch of ninth- and 10th-grade recruits on Friday at a University ...

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...