Sports briefs 2/13

Women’s golf

The Miami women’s golf team had a successful showing at the UCF Challenge, placing third behind two top-25 teams.

The Canes, currently ranked No. 33 in the nation, wrapped up play on Tuesday with their fourth top-three finish of the season.

“The pin placement was tougher, the winds picked up, but we held our ground,” coach Patti Rizzo said. “We didn’t play great, but we didn’t play terrible either. Third place is not bad out of 19 teams.”

Two of Miami’s golfers shot under par for the tournament – Leticia Ras-Anderica and Daniela Darquea each posted 2-under (214) combined scores. Overall, the Hurricanes shot even par (864), which trailed only No. 24 UCF (7-under 857) and No. 22 Iowa State (6-under 858) in the team standings.

Miami will host its annual invitational March 3-5 at the Biltmore Golf Course in Coral Gables.

Hall of fame

The College Baseball Foundation announced Tuesday that two former Hurricanes were selected as part of the 2014 Hall of Fame class.

Pitcher Alex Fernandez and slugger Mike Fiore will join five other inductees to the National College Baseball Hall of Fame in June. Fernandez was a first-team All-American as a freshman in 1989, a stellar season that included a no hitter. He played professionally for the Chicago Cubs and the Florida Marlins.

Fiore was an integral part of the Canes’ run to the 1985 College World Series title. He was a starter for four years at Miami and went on to play for team USA, where he won a gold medal at the 1988 Seoul Olympics.

“I think it’s a great thing not only for Mike and Alex, but for our program as well,” Hurricanes coach Jim Morris said. “It shows a respect for what Miami has accomplished for many, many years, and I’m very happy for both guys.”

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com 

Spencer Dandes

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami diving team enjoyed a strong first day of competition at the University of T ...

For the fourth time in eight months, Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team is taking part in a U. ...